Quick 5.1 Sound Question

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
Since the word 'Soundcard' is a rarely heard in the Mac universe, I just need a quick answer on something I haven't been able to find on Google yet. Thinking about getting a 5.1 sound system, and I just need to make sure that the soundcard which comes with a G4 Mirrored Drive will support it. There's not even enough information out there to know if this a non-issue, so just looking for a quick confirmation.

When you say "soundcard," do you mean the built-in audio on the G4 MDD, or did your computer have a sound card installed in one of the PCI slots?

My eMac plugged into my Dolby Surround Amp is just brilliant!

Just plug a mini phono plug into the headphone jack and then RCA into the 5.1 surround and be prepared :D

sirstaunch said:
Just plug a mini phono plug into the headphone jack and then RCA into the 5.1 surround and be prepared :D
...but that's not true 5.1 sound, though -- it has to be simulated, since the headphone jack is only 2-channel. Any Macintosh (or any device, like a CD player) with a standard audio-out port can achieve this, but I don't think that's what the poster meant when he asked if his MDD would support 5.1 channel sound.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
...but that's not true 5.1 sound, though -- it has to be simulated, since the headphone jack is only 2-channel. Any Macintosh (or any device, like a CD player) with a standard audio-out port can achieve this, but I don't think that's what the poster meant when he asked if his MDD would support 5.1 channel sound.

Well basically most 5.1 systems i have seen have an RCA input and the 5.1 input. The Stereo RCA input would produce the surround sound, not neccassarily the 5.1 sound, but surround anyhow. Which is quite sufficent in sound. 5.1 is great, but can be awkward in setting balance and toneing sound, it doesn't seem to have the natural 'boof' as a stereo input does.

My Proligic is way better then 5.1 like OS8.6 is way better then WindogsXP :rolleyes:

Back