Quick question about CD-RW's...

martinatkinson

Registered
Hello!

I was recently browsing my local Office Max store when I came across a pack of 50 CD-RW's for $19.95. One problem though: They are formatted for a PC. This is a great deal but my question is can you read and write a PC CD-RW on a Mac?

Thanks and have a great day!

Albert

:confused:

Blank CDRW's are, by definition, not formatted at all. It amazes me how brain-dead marketing (including the design of product packaging) can be sometimes... 50 for $20 is pretty reasonable though. I'd be a little concerned about the quality of the media, but otherwise they should work just fine in Macs.

Hello!

Thanks for your help!

What would you say is a good quality brand to look for when shopping for CD-RW media? I have been getting Vertabim CD-R's, do they make good quality CD-RW's too?

Again, thanks so much, have a great day!

Albert

I use Sony's. They tend to be a little more on the expensive side, but certainly do quite nicely. Haven't had a bad one yet...

PNY tech for me, mainly because my crappy Zip 650 is very picky about the brand CDR I use... go figure. PNY's work great for me, no coasters yet. (well maybe one or two due to my screwup..)

Nick

The generic compusa blank CDR's are pretty good too as far as cheap CDR's go. the comp usa generics with lables, suck.

CompUSA's CDs are good, but CompUSA's CDs suck? Don't quite get that one, but oh well...

I've heard that Verbatim (the ones with the blue recordable side) are excellent. I've had some for 6 years with old programs on them, and they still work great.

There used to be some good articles floating around about longevity/life span and the dyes they use in the recordable CDs. If I remember correctly, the blue-dye is good, the light-green dye IS NOT. The metallic gold are good, whereas the metallic gold that you can SEE through is not. At any rate, don't take my word for it -- look up those articles wherever you can (yahoo.com, maybe?) and read for yourself.

I like Verbatim. They've been making different media forEVER -- I remember using 5 1/4" 360k floppies from Verbatim (DataLife I think they called those floppies) and have heard nothing but good things about them.

El Diablo... I remember those days too...

Here's a good article about good CD-R quality...
Very interesting they seem to feel that there is no difference in the dye... I agree with you on that one Diablo... oh well, everyone's got an opinion ;)

M Science - CDR stuffs

oo... oooo... another one which confirms the "my zip 650 is finicky"...

Little chart on this one

Well, I've read some that say that there is a BIG difference in the dye, and some that say that there is LITTLE difference in the dye. I tend to stick with what works for me...

I still don't understand how some CD-R manufacturers can claim longevities of like 100 years shelf-life... hmmm... those must be under simlulated conditions, and I wouldn't exactly rely on them. I'd be tempted to say that if you take good care of the CDs, they'd last the entire molecular half-life of the weakest material present in the CD...

Hello!

I just wanted to thank all of you who helped me with this question. Keep up the great work! :)

Have a great day!

Albert

Allow me to clarify:

CompUSA CDs WITHOUT a pre printed label on them are good. Always have had luck with them.

however

CompUSA CD's WITH a pre-printed label (black and red label) don't work for crap.... go figure.

but shit, I'll play safe and just blame it on a crappy burner... :p

Nick

I usually use either Fuji or TDK. No problems on my Zip 650 that I've had problems with while using the CompUSA CDs WITHOUT the labels.

Originally posted by godzookie
PNY tech for me, mainly because my crappy Zip 650 is very picky about the brand CDR I use... go figure. PNY's work great for me, no coasters yet. (well maybe one or two due to my screwup..)

Nick

The generic compusa blank CDR's are pretty good too as far as cheap CDR's go. the comp usa generics with lables, suck.

I use PNY technlogies CD-Rs also and Memorex CD-RW's

Back