Quick Question on upgrading G5 OSX

thalilbear02

Registered
Hey guys,

I've got the older PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5GHZ that is running 10.3.9 and I'm looking to upgrade to the next OSX but I've read that some of the newer operating software will not work unless it has an Intel processor. I'm wondering what is the highest I can go without having issues. Is it Leopard? I know the new Snow Leopard will not work, but it's hard to find any information other than that.

Thanks for the help!

You can run Leopard on your G5. Do you know how much RAM is in it? You should probably put the most RAM you can.

I've got 3.5 gigs in there

2x 1 gig's
2x 512MB
2x 256MB

Sounds a bit backwards, but I'm looking to obviously swap out the 256's for 1 gigs... Where's the best place to look?

Anybody else that can chime in to make sure? I don't want to purchase Leopard and find out it doesn't work... Remember I do not have the Intel processor.

Leopard is 100% compatible with your computer.

owcomputing.com, newegg.com, tigerdirect.com and ramjet.com are all decent places to search for deals on RAM. Just ensure you know what the exact type of RAM you need is, and you're off to the races.

I'm looking to upgrade my G4 iBook to Leopard OSX 10.5.

It's the Snow Leopard OSX 10.6 that is Intel only.

I have a G5 w/dual 1.8 processor and I just 2 days ago upgraded to Leopard 10.5.8. I t works great! No problems. So you should be fine.

I have a G5 PowerMac. I never purchased 10.5 because I did not want to lose classic and I expected to be buying a new computer about now... But because I got layed off (been over 6 months) that will have to be put off indefinitely.

But now the next upgrade of some software I use a lot of and awhile back payed for updates through 2011, may require 10.5 as minimum.

Apple no longer sells 10.5 and i can't go to to 10.6. I looked on Amazon but there the cost for 10.5 was $300!!!

Anybody know how I can get a legitimate copy of 10.5 for a reasonable price? (The cheaper the better!)

Thanks
- Karen

I just received the Mac box set that contains 10.5.6, iLife 09 and iWork 09 for $189. from iUnitek. You might give them a try. PowerMax has 10.5 but I don't remember the price.

Back