Quick question regarding file permissions

nemac

Registered
I am sort of new to the Mac, but I have worked on Unix as well as Linux. Last night I purchased a new song from iTunes store and I could not down load it. I was getting an error. Long story short, I store all my music on an NAS box, and I was logged into that NAS as the root instead of my normal user account. Today I was looking around and I noticed that the file permissions are set with my user id and staff for the group name. I also noticed an "@" as the last character and that would be on the eleventh position. I know that the first three positions are for the owner, the next three are for group members and the last three are for the world. The question is this, what does the "@" in the eleventh position mean?

That means that the file has "extended attributes" with it -- metadata, etc. It's a way of signifying that there is file-level information attached to the file in addition to the permissions.

Thank you. I was working with a terminal and I happen to notice the file permissions and did not know what that character meant. I am sure I had seen it before, I just didn't pay attention to it.

Javier

Back