Quicktime And Itunes Not Responding

jspacecat

Registered
Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem Steve had last week, detailed here:

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q1572/Quicktime/itunes-Does-Not-Work.html

I consider myself to be pretty good with computers. Here's what's happening. Both programs begin start-up (they bounce in the dock only once) and then become the spinning pinwheel. Moving the mouse stops the pinwheel, but the application does not respond and needs to be force-quit.

First I repaired disk permissions. Next I deleted both programs and all their related files, and reinstalled the latest versions. No luck.

I think ProTools might be a part of the problem, since both Steve and I are ProTools users, and both Quicktime and iTunes are audio programs. I deleted ProTools and all its files, but the problem remains. A reinstalled ProTools works fine, but QuickTime and iTunes do not. Sound preferences in System Preferences seems to be set up correctly.

(By the way, I do restart the computer after every step.)

I really have no idea what to try next. If anyone knows, please help!

Thanks very much,
Jamie

was wondering if anyone has made any headway with this one as i have the EXACT problem jspacecat talks about.
usign protools digi001 10.3.9

dougcross said:
was wondering if anyone has made any headway with this one as i have the EXACT problem jspacecat talks about.
usign protools digi001 10.3.9
Did you try the above suggestions -- ie, creating a new user account and seeing if the problems persist under the new user?

Hi Doug,

I fixed this problem by updating my Digidesign core audio and down grading my Quicktime. I would suggest trying the core audio upgrade first. You may not need to downgrade Quicktime. I think you can find more info at the Digidesign site.

you know, I read that both iTunes and Quicktime should be downgraded, but I looked everywhere for an older version of iTunes and couldn't find one, so I left it alone. Just upgrading the Digidesign Core Audio fixed my problem with iTunes. However, to be on the safe side, I do not do automatic updates for iTunes and Quicktime. I am currently running iTunes 4.8 and Quicktime 6.5.2. I'm updating to OSX 10.4 and ProTools 6.9 soon and am hoping that that will solve all my Digidesign compatibility problems.

I suppose this question might be better posed to Digidesign or maybe the info is on their site to but I thought I would ask here anyway. I am running ProTools 6.4 on Digi 001 hardware so I can not upgrade to ProTools 6.9....does that mean I can not also upgrade the coreaudio? I suppose if no then I just have to downgrade iTunes and Quicktime....

Any info is appreciated and thanks you guys. I was beginning to think I would never solve this issue!

So I thought I would pass on the relevant Digidesign link:

http://www.digidesign.com/download/coreaudio/panther/

Basically the deal is that coreaudio 9 probably will work with 001 systems under Panther but it has not been certified. In other words they have not encountered any problems but ca nnot guarantee that it will work without some errors.

Audiomedia III systems have not even been tested.

So hopefully when I get home and install this, everything will be cool adn I can use iTunes again....

Cheers and thanks for helping me help myself n'stuff,

Iam

Back