QuickTime Codec's

Timotheos100

Registered
I have been trying all day to get quicktime (not pro) to play avi's, i downloaded some codec's for QT but i cant figure out how to install them, from what i have heard you put them in the library/quicktime directory but i have no quicktime file in my library.

Can anyone help me out?

And is it possible to get WMP of mac to play AVI's with codecs or whatever?

I'd use VLC if it weren't for the fact that it still can't play WMV3 files, so I have to keep Windows Media Player on here sadly. I just use whatever program is associated with the file type: AVI (w/ DivX codec), MPG and MOV on QuickTime, WMV for Windows Media Player ( :( ), Real formats on RealPlayer, and then anything else I test with VLC. Best performance, for me, always comes from the program that it's supposed to be played with.

These are all the codecs you need:

Divx - Necessary to properly read the audio from most AVI files. No need to dance and prance with "doctoring" them before opening. (Edit: I just noticed that the Divx web site says it does not support QT7 or Tiger, but it works fine for me.)
AC3 codec - for decoding audio in the rare AVI that uses AC3 (the codec used on DVDs) instead of mp3.
WMV Player ($9.99) - for handling WMV files in QuickTime.

There's also 3ivx, which I used to recommend in addition to Divx. However, it's pretty much worthless now. 3ivx is faster at decoding video than Divx, but ONLY if you're using QuickTime 6; 3ivx is for some reason much slower with QT7, to the point where playback is choppy even on GHz+ G4s. This issue has been acknowledged by the 3ivx guys, but has yet to be fixed. Also, it used to be that if you installed both, you'd get Divx's audio handling + 3ivx's then-superior video handling, but as of Divx 5.2.1, this is no longer the case (Divx will handle everything anyway). So the only reason to install 3ivx now is if you're dealing with 3ivx video, which is very, very rare.

With these codecs installed, I very rarely need to use VLC. VLC is a great program, but it's no substitute for QuickTime.

If there's no "QuickTime" folder in your Library, just create it, and drop the codecs in there.

Mikuro said:
Divx - Necessary to properly read the audio from most AVI files. No need to dance and prance with "doctoring" them before opening. (Edit: I just noticed that the Divx web site says it does not support QT7 or Tiger, but it works fine for me.)

Yes it is not ready for Tiger. If you used a pro app or classic, you would notice right away. Classic also will not run with the current Divx codec and it will play havoc with surround sound in QT7.

Satcomer said:
Yes it is not ready for Tiger. If you used a pro app or classic, you would notice right away. Classic also will not run with the current Divx codec and it will play havoc with surround sound in QT7.
Bummer. Well, there's also FFusion, which will handle most kinds of MPEG4 video, like Divx 1-5. Apparently it is compatible with DivX Doctor, a tool made by the 3ivx folks to work around the QT audio bug. In my experience, FFusion is about the same speed as the Divx codec (slower than 3ivx under QT6 in Panther, though). However, I've only tested it extensively on G3-based systems.

Indeed, VLC is a great player, but if you also want to be able to play wmv or asf files on the same player, MPlayer OS X 2 is the best.

Back