Quicktime Error 50

Gregdrum

Registered
For some unexplained reason, I can no longer watch my store of quicktime movies. For some reason when I click on a movie icon
I get an error message that says “ Could Not Open Movie Error 50”. I tried reinstalling both Quicktime Pro and Flip 4 Mac and I still get this message. Please can you help solve this delima. There have been no changes to my movie files, and I sure would like to be able to access them. Please Help !!!!!
Thanks.... Greg Janusz

It can be a permissions problem or a corrupt file. First, go to Home>Library>Preferences.
Trash the two files "com.apple.quicktime....preferences.plist" and "com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist"
Empty the trash and give it a try.

If that doesn't work, check the permissions on one of the files you are trying to open. Just click once on one file, then go to the File menu and select Get Info. At the bottom of that window is the permissions. You should be able to read and write.

Sorry to jump in on this but I am having the same issue. I have deleted the files you mention above and I have checked the permissions and they are fine. It only appears to be wmv movies that don't work for me. I use flip4mac and have never had any problem with watching any movie on it but now for some reason I do. The mov movies work fine. Anyone know how to fix this?

I have Perian installed. I have tried downloading both Flip4mac and Perian again but still get the "This movie could not be opened, Mac OS error -50" message. I really have no idea why this has started happening all of a sudden.

Are these newly downloaded wmv's? If so, then there is a problem with that file.
If these are wmv's that you have had on your computer, then I am stumped, but that doesn't mean there isn't a solution.

These are all old files that have played with no problems up until a few days ago. I have no idea what is going on as I have made no changes apart from what I have mentioned above. Now when I try to open wmv it states that "This is not a movie file" but the mov ones work fine. Thank you for the continued help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help msat but still nothing from my wmv files. All others are now working perfect but the wmv ones come up saying that "This file is not a movie file". Strangely they no longer have the Q logo on them they just look like blank files. Is there anyway to get them back to the way they were? All these wmv files worked before.

Last edited:
Back