quicktime problems.....

jonmichael23

Registered
How come quicktime cant play .mov and .avi ? The only movie extension it does seem to play is .mpg .......... It says- Unfortunately quicktime does not have the software to display this extension and it is not available on the quicktime server or something like that. Ive updated third party software for it in system preferences, and its player 6.5 . Is there any movie player i can download to play these files? Thanks, Jon

Open System Preferences, and then the Quicktime Preferences. Under the Plugin pane choose MIME settings. Make sure under Video those extensions are checked or just choose Use Defaults.

If that doesn't work then open Applications->Utilities-Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on you drive (you should do that on a regular basis).

You can use VLC or Windows Media Player to play some .AVI files.

If QuickTime says it doesn't have the required software to play that movie file, that means that the codec (which is the algorithm used to encode the movie) doesn't exist for QuickTime, so it can't play it.

Don't be fooled -- QuickTime can play many, many .mov files. It sounds like you're trying to view movies from a web page, and the person who encoded the movies for the web page used a codec that isn't available for QuickTime. The other two programs I mentioned (available from http://www.versiontracker.com) may be able to play those movies, and they may not. It just depends on what codec was used to make the movie file.

to play most avi files in quicktime, you need the Indeo Video 5 codec. I think it's only supported in Mac OS 9, but i do recall using it in X, I can't remember. i had to convert some files for a clients presentation.

Back