quicktime sure sucks

solrac

Mac Ninja
Two kinds of movie files

.mpg files
.avi files

quicktime can't play some of these

for mpg files, quicktime starts playing them then halfway through it freezes and becomes a slide show

for avi files, the video track is missing, and you can only hear audio. Quicktime usually says it is missing software in a dialogue box.

But these will always play smoothly on a PC!!

What's the deal???

-solrac-

Go to www.VersionTracker.com and do a search for DivX. Download DivOSX. It plays most .avi movies right in Quicktime, some you need to doctor to transform to .mov

I have tons of divx movies (all anime) and i haven't found one file so far that doesn't work perfectly.

The deal with Divx is that it is an underground pirated format. Divx uses MP3 for sound. Since you don't have the correct codec to view the movies, Quicktime will only play the sound (since it supports MP3).

This is the most stupid comment I ever read at MACOSX.COM! Quicktime sucks? Just because you cant play the PIRATE FORMAT DivX;-) ? Ok solrac. Take some time to think about what you said! This is stupid! :mad: Nachohat is right! Get DivX for OS X!
Go to:

http://divx.jamby.net

get DivXforOSX come back to this forum and say "Quicktime sucks" again!:mad: :p

All I see is an AVI file and an MPG file.

Quicktime fucks up on both

I know nothing about DivX or pirated shit or anything

I just see two video files that play fine on PC, and quicktime cannot play

to me, it's just one AVI and one MPG

I wish there were more codecs for quicktime

quicktime does f***ing suck. it is the most pathetic apple application other then itunes that i have ever used. and finder cd burning. here's why.

i play movie files in quicktime. try to move the window and it is un responsive etc. try to access any of the file menues and it's un responsive. this is os x only, not os 9. a friend of mine says this is cus of apples finder sucking so bad, but i don't see how cus QT is an app, not the finder.

cd burning in finder. i have lost more cd's using apples finder burning in mac os 9 then toast ever did.

itunes cd burning. i have wasted more audio cd's in itunes then ever with toast. burn mp3's from itunes as an audio cd. when i play back the audio cd sometimes I'll have it pop at me crackel sound. sometimes at the end of a track it will just stop there and try to move to the second track, but won't unless i hit the next track button. like you'll see the timer say 4 minutes and 32 seconds and instead of going to track 2 or whatever the next is, it'll repeat 4 min 32 sec. not audio cus it's the end of the song, about to go to next song, but it'll just sit there. Toast never once did this. this is with all versions of itunes in mac os 9 or 10.

and my mac is a dual G4/450 with 512mb ram. I've tried using Yamaha cdrw 6-4-16 external scsi and also internal plextor 12-10-32 and it's no different.

well, finder CD burning and iTunes burning are brand new things, so they can be refined

iTunes as a player doesn't suck though

but QUicktime... that is apple's flagship program..... it should ROCK.....

just needs 2 things:
1) Be fast and responsive
2) Play all the same movie files the dork's PC can play

-solrac-

Originally posted by buggs1a
quicktime does f***ing suck. it is the most pathetic apple application other then itunes that i have ever used. and finder cd burning. here's why.

i play movie files in quicktime. try to move the window and it is un responsive etc. try to access any of the file menues and it's un responsive. this is os x only, not os 9. a friend of mine says this is cus of apples finder sucking so bad, but i don't see how cus QT is an app, not the finder.

Well its probably your setup. Both my G4 cube and my mom's iBook have no problems with this.

cd burning in finder. i have lost more cd's using apples finder burning in mac os 9 then toast ever did.

itunes cd burning. i have wasted more audio cd's in itunes then ever with toast. burn mp3's from itunes as an audio cd. when i play back the audio cd sometimes I'll have it pop at me crackel sound. sometimes at the end of a track it will just stop there and try to move to the second track, but won't unless i hit the next track button. like you'll see the timer say 4 minutes and 32 seconds and instead of going to track 2 or whatever the next is, it'll repeat 4 min 32 sec. not audio cus it's the end of the song, about to go to next song, but it'll just sit there. Toast never once did this. this is with all versions of itunes in mac os 9 or 10.

Wow, you must be having a rough time. But, surprise of surprises, some of us are actually USING DISK BURNER AND ITUNES FLAWLESSLY WHEN BURNING CDs, so you don't have to act like this happens to everyone. Seriously, why not, instead of saying everything sucks about Apple (since you obviously hate everything about Apple so much based on your comments all over this site), ditch your Mac and get a PC. I'm sure that'll help everthing. :rolleyes:

Quicktime is easily the most robust media infrastructure that's out there- as long as you're using mac or windows- due to some rough licensing ish apple can't easily release quicktime for unix/linux without dropping a few codecs- and we know how much they hate double standards.

The number of products that are built upon quicktime is STAGGERING. Why aren't you complaining that Windows Media player has poor support for .mov's? BECAUSE IT'S NOT MICROSOFT'S FORMAT. Your statement regarding avi's is akin to complaining that OSX doens't run on your PC and therefore sucks. As for mpg files- there are several different mpg formats- and half of them are based on proprietary codec's belonging to companies that have long since gone bankrupt since the days when VCD hadn't had the coat-hanger treatment. With most standard mpg encoding techniques- quicktime is fine to IMPORT IT. You always need to keep in mind- it's QUICKTIME PLAYER- it has support built in for lots of media formats but it will always work best when working in its own format.

DivOSX comes with a little application that converts *.avi (which, btw- microsoft no longer supports/is moving away from) to .mov, which has made any file I've thrown at it play nearly flawlessly. There will ALWAYS be codec issues when you get outside of the standard base set- which is pretty extensive considering ITS FREE. Quicktime Pro is one of the few reasonably priced applications considering that you can do animation compositing, video editing, basic filter/effects, and a variety of both lossless and high-compression encoding.

At the very least- it makes Windows Media player look like a joke. People complain about quicktime's interface- but by comparison- ooph.

humbly
-stephen

80% of the text books I have to buy for classes, come with cd-roms. 100% of those cd-roms come with QuickTime and all the media on the disk is QT. I dunno exactly what my point is, but I'm guessing that if Quicktime really sucks as bad as you say, these publishing companies would be using Real Player or some shit like that.

QuickTime Rocks !!!!

...but, how can i play MPEG2 files ?

On PCs you can use PowerDVD (or anything else to play DVDs) and set it to file mode.

Just choose your mpeg2 file and play it. Of course, you have to have a Mpeg2 decoder on your graphic card.

I would like to do the same thing on my Mac.

So i wait for your hints :)

I have been wishing for MPG2 playback ever since I started downloading MPG2 music videos :p
There isnt a way to play them.
There is a free DVD player out there but tehre is not audio, just halfasses image, but that is normal since the guy is brave enough to do guesswork since he cant pay to get the specs for the DVD association. Kudos to him, but I cant use his product to my satisfaction yet...

Come on QT! we want MPG2 playback!

Admiral

Most people don't understand that Quicktime is more than a player. For us Mac users, it's some kind of graphic OLE. And, to the guy who has problems with the responsiveness: Sure, only because it is unresponsive on YOUR system, it's shit. I mean, it works flawlessly on my Quicksilver, as it does on my Cube, as it does on my MP 450 G4 at work, on the Powerbook G4 of my boss, on the Powerbook G3 of a friend of mine, on the iMac at work....I NEVER heard such problem. Quicktime is rock solid, and I never - on no system - had problems with it! I can move windows at a lightning speed (do THAT under Windows!) without a dropped frame or sounds problem, even when playing DivX.
Quicktime is simply one of the best standards I have ever seen, sadly, only on the Mac (since the PC Quicktime is somewhat equal to the Mac Windows Media Player...both are not that good).

About the MPEG 2 thing: You can only play them in DVD Studio Pro, and even there, not in fullscreen. But, of course, you could decode them with Quicktime if you have the MPEG 2 codec, which comes with DVDSP. I have no clue where else it could be found (*cough hotline *cough). I also hope that soon there will be a MPEG 2 player. DVDSP shows that it is possible in great quality, no dropped frames, no dropped sound, just incredible. I remember that there was a hack for the classic DVD player which made it similar to the version which comes with DVDSP so you can open Video TS folders on your harddrive. IIRC you can even do this with the standard OS X DVD player. Now you "only" need software which packs the MPEG 2 stream and the audio stream into a VOB file inside the Video TS folder with the needed info files...which would again be DVDSP...

remember that a simple MPEG 2 player wouldn't help, since MPEG 2 can't save the audio stream inside the MPEG 2 file. BUT of course,an MPEG 2 player would let us play SVCDs. Rumour are that the next version of toast can burn SVCDs (praypraypray), so they will include a MPEG 2 encoder, and hopefully, also a decoder along with a small SVCD player which would solve this problem.

Until then, of course, there is VPC and the SVCD / MPEG 2 players for Windows/Linux, but well, that's another story.

Oh, and Natchoheat, I send you PM, hope you got it ;)

wasn't it ou who nagged me to no end about serials surfers and pyrating (which i don't do)? and no wyour heading off to hotline?

cough* hipocrit cought*

(is that how u spell it? probably not, but oh well...

I'm glad a lot of people backed up/added to what I said/was trying to say. I just get really annoyed by people who bash QT because it doesn't have some specific codecw but don't acknowledge everything that QT can do. I dare anybody who says QT sucks to only use Windows Media Player. Have fun! :rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way, it's spelled "hypocrite". ;)

Most PC users hate QT, and they are right to do so. QT on the PC sucks. But when I explained a Windows/Linux friend of mine what the idea of QT on the Mac side is, he was impressed and wished that something similar existed under Windows. As me, he is a Window programmer. Quicktime itself is more than a media player, as I mentioned, it's the Mac OLE for media content WITH a GUI which displays those media elements. For people who don't know, OLE - or Object linking and embedding - is a Windows feature which allows programms to share data between them, for example if your app uses OLE and there are OLE function to handle a given media (for example JPEG), you wouldn't have to code an import function for JPEG. The same thing is Quicktime on the Mac. Allthough most companies still write their own import function, you often run over the notification "Unable to import File. Do you want to try importing it via Quicktime?". Not to mention Quicktime as a base for en/decoding stuff, I mean it's an OS function which let's you translate any given, known (through Codecs) media into any other known media. I find the idea of Quicktime more than good.

those last 2 comments were pointless since all three formats are proprietary :p if QT could play RMs and WMFs then there wouldnt be a need to a windows media plaeyr or a real player :p

Back