Quirky desktop folder appearing problem

Incubated Funk

Registered
Hi Guys,

I have a niggly little problem that isnt big enough to actually effect anything. It does however always make me think what could be causing so after checking the usual places i thought id open it to this forum...

Basically, i have 2 sata drives in my trusty G5, both partitioned into 2, mainly so i can have dedicated drives for my work and seperate for my music.

On my music drive (where my itunes folder is located), every now and again an empty folder is created called 'Desktop'. The strange thing is that it isnt an alias of the desktop and its contents dont represent the desktop.... Its just an empty folder called desktop in the same place every time...

Every few days i notice a new one so i check the contents (just in case) check the 'created' in get info and delete it... Ive tried in vain to recreate this folder using my varying key commands and ive checked all of the finder preferences to no avail...

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Is it called 'Desktop' or 'Desktop Folder'? If it's Desktop Folder, then it represents the OS 9 desktop, and it will be created every time you use Classic. If it's just 'Desktop', then I'm afraid I have no idea.

The desktop folder is created when you make a visual change to a mounted drive (adding or renaming folders, copying files/folders into the drive, etc.), that is, using the desktop from a mounted drive will create that folder if none exists.
I haven't really determined when the desktop folder is created, and it just shows up. I don't remember that happening before Tiger, but it's possible. Other than knowing that the desktop folder will show up from time to time, there's not much you can do. I have never seen anything in it. You could simply leave it in place, as it will show up again.

It seems to me that it started with Tiger, or some minor revision of Tiger. I've never seen anything in it either, and my organizational OCD makes me check these zombied Desktop folders repeatedly. They seem to be placeholders to trigger some kind of treatment of that volume.

I hope they trigger the memory of the responsible OS developers to, you know, stop this.

Its very strange because it only happens on the one partition of my 2nd sata drive, same place everytime and knowhere else. Even when im running 2 lacie drives, both partitioned aswell.

I cant even make it create the folder no matter what i do....

If it's really Tiger-related, I'd suspect Spotlight as the culprit. But really: I'd simply ignore it as well, since it doesn't do any harm.

Back