Quite fed up with this problem.

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
Ok all...

Did we ever get a clear answer on this problem?

Here's the symptom. Finder is open, System Preferences is open, and Mail is open. (the programs open are rhetorical)

I do something in Sys Prefs, and then something in mail. Open the calculator, and then close it. Now I go to Mail, and save the attachment. Now I go out to the finder to see the file missing. Ok, now no problems there.

Oh, but wait... The attachment isn't here, but there is a selection box waiting to be completed. So now I click, and find half my desktop selected. It's now starting to make me real, real aggrivated. It was supposedly fixed in 10.1.

This isn't a whining gig either. It slows my machine down because Finder is waiting for an action to happen, and it slowly but surely sucks up all memory.

I've reinstalled from scratch, pre_binded, and fscked. (I don't know why, but a whole bunch of people will say to fsck anyway, even though it has nothing to do with the finder directly)

TIA

Can you redescribe the problem? I'm not exactly sure what you are saying.

I am having a problem that sounds similar, though.

What happens is sometimes OS X thinks I'm still clicking and dragging with the mouse button, but I'm really not. It happens with all applications. For example, I click and drag on a window in Internet Explorer or OmniWeb and let go. The window stays in place but the application seems to be hanging. So I go and click, and the window pops to a position where my cursor is. VERY aggravating! This sometimes happens in the Finder too, where I click in the Finder and it selects some things because it thought I was dragging from some place on the Desktop. Like I said, very, VERY aggravating, and it sounds similar to what you are describing.

Is this the symptom? If not, can you describe it again (so I can understand)?

The only app I've had that problem in is Quicktime. (The one simX described)

It's VERY annoying, hopefully will be fixed in QuickTime 6 and/or 10.1.4/10.2

dricci: Believe me, it is not limited to Quicktime. It's DARN annoying, and it happens very often in IE, and Stuffit Expander too. Any app has the potential to do it, though. Oh, and the other thing -- the bug where a window doesn't become the key one (with the widgets being colorized, but with no + - or x in them) isn't fixed with 10.1.3, when it says it should have been.

Question: are you using USB Overdrive? Mine started doing this with MUCH more frequency when I installed that to use with my Intellimouse Explorer. It does it ESPECIALLY with iTunes -- I'll click on the iTunes window to make it the foremost application, and the window will jump to wherever I just clicked.

I can't remember this happening pre-USB Overdrive install, but it may have. It's just been doing it a LOT lately.

Nope. No USB Overdrive. I don't think it's that.. I think it's the operating system that's annoying me. It might be something like WindowShade X though... I dunno.

That's precisely what's happening simX.

I'll be dragging in a program, and it seems to think that I've clicked on the finder at some point. Which I haven't.

Me thinks it's a bug in the OS. :)

Thanks all for the input

Hey Twyg -- howabout adding that line in your sig about computers never needing more than 128k of RAM? :D

I think the same person said it...

I have this problem too! Always seems to be with IE for me. Click somewhere and IE will move there, usually mostly off-screen. No USB Overdrive. I do have WindowShade X, as well as Kensington MouseWorks. I get the feeling it is OS X itself from the other replies?

i don't have windowshade x and i don't have usb overdrive, and it happens to me, too! so it must be os x!

I never had any of the problems you are describing until I added a M$ optical USB scrolling mouse.I didn't add any software to support it. Also, at times, when waking the Mac, it caused several keys strokes to be made and when I move the mouse it quits. I put the regular Apple mouse back on and never saw the problem again.
Sounds to me like a flaky USB device problems. It would be interesting to find/create a program that monitors mouse down events, and see if something erratic is occurring with your mouse as you drag things.
Programs like Netscape, Mozilla, and some others, cause excessive CPU usage when they are not the front app and you click the mouse, drag, etc. For this reason alone, I don't use those apps as they cause a sluggish feeling in the entire OS when they sit running in the background. Obviously, that is a particular program, not an OS X problem, but it affects everthing else.

I have gotten some similar freezes in action as well. Noticed the problem got worse when I installed Limewire tonight.

Is there anything I can run to check for problems? I looked at the process viewer but I know nothing about it and what *should* and *should't* be there. I see something called MWBackround, LaunchCFMapp, and ATSServer...what the heck is all this? Can anyone direct me to a page I can learn more about the inner workings? I am beginning to feel like a pest here with all the questions I am asking.

TIA...jon

Yup... I have the same error, and have done for quite a while. I don't have any of the additions you guys are talking about, but I get the errror quite frequently. It's the most annoying bug in the OS for me.

Originally posted by iconcow
Yup... I have the same error, and have done for quite a while. I don't have any of the additions you guys are talking about, but I get the errror quite frequently. It's the most annoying bug in the OS for me.

its also the most annoying bug for me.
does anybody know whether this is fixed in 10.1.5 or 10.2?!

Back