Qwartz Extreme

erikstonge

Registered
I've a iMac 600 MHz with a ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16 Mb of ram. Did X.2 use Quawtz Extreme with this video card? At the Apple site, it's writen GeForce or ATi Readon.

Quartz Extreme is not supported on your system, it's not a Radeon chip, AND does not have the minimum 32MB of VRAM. But that just means Quartz Extreme is not going to happen on your system, other system enhancements with 10.2 make that upgrade worth it.

To DeltaMac

Go at the apple site: http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html
Go at the buttom, you can read:

* Requirements:
Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

I have the 16 MB of vram, but did I need exactly a GEforce or ATi Readon card to work.

Originally posted by erikstonge
I have the 16 MB of vram, but did I need exactly a GEforce or ATi Readon card to work.
You will still see some speed improvements in Jag, but likely not as a result of QE. a Rage128 card is a far cry from a Radeon, which is a minimum requirement.

I was in the same situation as yourself, running the stock AGP rage128pro card (and a PCI Radeon).. those cards have been recently (as of two days ago) been replaced with a 8500 to take advantage of QE.

You may want to consider replacing your aged card with a cost-effective 9000 once they become available in the retail channels.

Did are possible to replace a video card in an iMac, because I think the video card are fixed on the mother card, not plugged.

Originally posted by erikstonge
Did are possible to replace a video card in an iMac, because I think the video card are fixed on the mother card, not plugged.
Dooh - Sorry, I missed that part about the iMac. As you suspected there is no way to upgrade the video on an iMac. The only iMac's that support Quartz Extreme, are the new LCD flat panel ones. The CRT based ones all had pre-Radeon/pre-nVidia chips.

As I said though, you should still see a improvement with 10.2.. just not as dramatic of one.

I have a radeon 8500 too with 64mb. Is there a speed diff between a 32mb and a 64mb card with QE and is it noticable.

Back