RAM Question

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
I'm about to buy a G4 with a single processor, and i'm paying $100 more to get 512 MB of RAM. I'd like a gig of it, but that's out of my reach. Ok, so here's the question.

My current computer, an old Indigo iMac, has a default stick of RAM - 256 MB, and one I added myself, an Official 128 stick.

Now, when I get my G4, I need more memory for using Photoshop. Now i'm just making sure of something here - I want to transfer a thing of RAM from my iMac to my new G4 for a boost in memory, most likely the 128 piece. I'm fairly certain this is ok to do.

Then I thought about leaving the 128 in the computer and using the 256 instead - to boost myself to 768.

I'm giving my old computer to my parents, and they will most likely only use Appleworks and Safari. Would having a Mac OS X system using 128 RAM be suicidal, or OK if they only use those two programs.

Since i'll be using a single-G4 processor, i'm trying to beef up on my memory. While I could always buy more later, is 620 ok to use, or should I go to 768 while leaving my parents a computer with 128 RAM?

And just to make sure on all this, it's perfectly safe doing this, correct? I looked and saw that the RAM used for iMacs is the same model for G4's, so i'm guessing yes.

Thx for the help.

I assume you're getting an older G4, the current ones being sold on the Apple Web site require PC2700 (minimum) which are _not_ interchangeable with your iMac. Or are you getting an eMac(?), which would be interchangeable (depending on model) You'll be able to tell quickly enough, the pc2700 (DDR) has a very different connector.
You should be able to find either type (PC2700 or PC100/133) for less than $70 for a 512MB stick, according to www.ramseeker.com

I'm getting what's being sold as of now, a G4 tower. If they aren't interchangable, i'll just get the 512 and upgrade a lil later.

Back