RAM trouble with a MacBook... of course.

Asterax

Registered
Hey all,

Two problems:

1) I ordered this RAM from Kingston.com: http://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KTA-MB667/2G

It is a 2 GB piece, but I thought it was actually two separate 1 GB pieces. I assume that my MacBook will not accept one 2 GB RAM piece, is this correct to assume?

2) When I tried to replace the RAM, I haven't yet, the levers do not push the RAM out. How do I get the RAM out of my MacBook using the levers?

Thanks for any and all help!

I hope I didn't just waste $40.

Here's some help for the RAM eject levers, straight from Apple's service manual:
In one swift motion, use one finger to move the lever to the left and release it. This swift motion ejects the memory card.
Caution: The memory card eject levers are on a spring hinge that operates on a side-to-side horizontal plane. The mechanism can be damaged if the lever is forced outside of that horizontal movement. To prevent damage to a lever, move it swiftly—in one sideways direction only.

the eject levers can be quite stiff....

If your Macbook can use 2GB chips - depends on which processor you have.
If your MacBook is a CoreDuo, then it will NOT work with a 2GB chip.
Core2Duos will work with 2GB chips, but only the more recent ones can use two 2GB chips for a total of 4GB. If yours is an older CoreDuo, maybe you can exchange for a pair of 1GB chips.

I once had a heck of a job removing the RAM from one of the slots on my iMac C2D ... the lever just wouldn't work at all ... I ended up using a pair of long-nose pliers to grasp an edge and was successful in removing the mod. I was very careful not to touch anything metal with the pliers.

Here's some help for the RAM eject levers, straight from Apple's service manual:
In one swift motion, use one finger to move the lever to the left and release it. This swift motion ejects the memory card.
Caution: The memory card eject levers are on a spring hinge that operates on a side-to-side horizontal plane. The mechanism can be damaged if the lever is forced outside of that horizontal movement. To prevent damage to a lever, move it swiftly—in one sideways direction only.

the eject levers can be quite stiff....

If your Macbook can use 2GB chips - depends on which processor you have.
If your MacBook is a CoreDuo, then it will NOT work with a 2GB chip.
Core2Duos will work with 2GB chips, but only the more recent ones can use two 2GB chips for a total of 4GB. If yours is an older CoreDuo, maybe you can exchange for a pair of 1GB chips.

Thanks! I just realized that my MacBook (the Mid-2007 version from Apple-History.com) supports up to 3 GBs of RAM.

Back