Random freezing

smithy

designer.
Hi,

Lately my mac (10.4.7) has been freezing without notice forcing me to do a hold down the power button shutdown. I don't think it happens from performance things such as running heaps of apps and or doing multiple tasks; nothing really like that. It just usually happens at the most pointless of times. There really isn't anything specific thing that I do which leads to OS X just freezing.

I have a hunch it could be related to the amount of space left on my startup disk, i only have 1GB left or so and i know that you should at least have 10GB free on your startup disk.

Although sometimes there seems to be some graphical errors and such on the screen when the computer does infact freeze. These errors sometimes appear, as per the attached image file. However on that occasion these weird things appeared all over the screen (the image is just a cropped version of the screenshot). So this then perhaps suggests a hardware issue.

I have tried disk utility repairing disk permissions, no help there. I haven't tried creating a new user account and using that to see if the problem occurs, but to me it seems pointless for this issue.

Also another thing is that usually when it freezes i sometimes have music playing, and it still continues to play but the computer doesn't recognize any input from the keyboard and i think from memory the mouse curser still works.

The current solution i am thinking about is just reinstalling OS X completely, and hopefully it will go away because the problem has only become noticeable awhile after the 10.4.6 upgrade i think.

So yeah that's about it so far, it's hard to explain but i tried my best. Hope someone can help me out, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help anyone gives me.

Attachments

• Picture 1 21-36-53.jpg
    Picture 1 21-36-53.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8
I would say because OS X is Unix based and Unix needs swap files room to function, you need to make room on that machine (or buy a larger hard drive). You should most always keep 15 to 20% of a volume free to make OS X hum along.

That's what i think the problem is too, i just need to save up some dollars for an external hard drive. Thanks anyways satcomer.

Back