.rat file

mjbjohn

Registered
I downloaded a file which turned out to be a .rat file. Does anyone know of a mac program that converts .rat files into a format that I can
then import into imovie or popcorn in order to make a movie dvd? Thanks

"File Viewer" Free from the Mac App Store. (Never downloaded it, so no guarantees. But if the App Store has it, it's relatively safe)

I don't find .rat listed anywhere as a video file that is of any use by itself.
(.rat = Random Access Texture map)

What kind of file do you think you have?

FWIW. fileinfo.com:

File Type PICS Rating File
Developer W3C

Category Misc Files
File Format Description
File used by implementations of the PICS (Platform for Internet Content Selection) Web rating system, which is used to rate websites based on content; saved in a plain text format and specifies categories for rating explicit material such as language, sexual material, and violence.

RAT files are used for installing rating systems on computers, which block access to websites that meet the PICS rules criteria. Microsoft's Content Advisor component, which is integrated with Internet Explorer, can use RAT files to install a rating system that helps deny access to certain websites. To install a rating system, double-click the RAT file.

NOTE: The PICS system is not widely supported, but Internet Explorer's Content Advisor can still use PICS RAT files.
Program(s) that open .RAT files

Windows
Microsoft Content Advisor info
Any text editor info
Updated 12/28/2011 Add Info
Need to open a .RAT file? Try File Viewer for Mac.

I downloaded a file which turned out to be a .rat file. Does anyone know of a mac program that converts .rat files into a format that I can
then import into imovie or popcorn in order to make a movie dvd? Thanks
There are several unrelated filetypes that use the .rat extension. Rather than forcing people to guess the kind of file you have, it would be enormously helpful if you would tell us how your files are normally used. DeltaMac and SGilbert two types. According to this website, .rat files are used by the free RandyTab Tablature application. RandyTab Tablature is a free guitar tablature program for Windows.

Thanks for the replies. I like to download various movie files/clips that I incorporate into my travel videos. I import the videos into imovie or popcorn in order to burn a movie dvd. I came across this video file and thought it would work well; it was only after downloading it that it showed up a .rat file ( which I was unfamiliar with). In "get info" it is described as a unix executable file.

I cannot reconcile your narrative to a PICS, texture map, or guitar tablature. Quite frankly, it sounds like you downloaded something other than you intended. Perhaps if you gave a link to the files that you downloaded....

Back