Re-installing Tiger

rickd1010

Registered
I have just installed a new HD in the Imac and now for some reason my DVD of Tiger will not install the OS. I am about to go to the APple store and buy Leopard, but before I do is it possible that there is a problem with my Tiger DVD? Of course the first thing that came to mind is that Apple installed a counter that tells how many installs the disk has done, and that is now the reason that I cannot install from that disk. I have used it several times for reinstalls and have kept it in the DVD slot to use the Disk Repair feature. For some reason the installer is stopping in the middle of the install and not allowing me to go any farther. ANy input on this would be greatly appreciated
Thnx,
Rick

No, there's no counter on the DVD.
Do you get an error (usually shows a yellow triangle or red stop sign when the installer stops, with a very brief explanation. We need to know what that error says.

If you had your iMac completely apart, and it's several years old, then small particles of dust might have migrated to the DVD drive lens. You should try cleaning the drive, even something as simple as blowing into the open tray could help. Use a can-of-air for that, if you haven't tried that yet.

Or, does it prevent you from even installing, and doesn't provide a drive when you choose a volume for installing? That should be quite easy to fix, if it just won't allow you to select your hard drive...

Do you still have the iMac G4?
It may be too slow for Leopard.
What is the processor speed in your iMac?

To all who helped - thank you!!! it turned out to be a bad stick of ram that was keeping me from reinstalling Tiger. when i switched that out it went in fine. Thnx for all your support

Back