Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

---

Anyway, I've been having these really annoying crashes. I'll be using the computer and suddenly the screen will just go black and become completely unresponsive. At this point I have no choice but to cut the power to the computer and restart by resupplying the power and then pressing the startup button on the computer again. What really annoys me is that there's no error message or log or indication that there's even a problem during the crash and upon reboot.

The first few times it happened I always had parallels opened so I thought that could be the problem, well it still crashes without parallels. Interestingly enough when sound was running in parallels it would continue through the crash (though everything would still turn black). I don't know if it would do this now because I haven't been using Parallels, also I think sound from the OSX programs would continue. Now the sound doesn't continue and it crashes when I'm really not doing anything but using the internet. It's really become a pain, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks a lot, even if you can't help, just for taking the time.

Hold down Control-Option-P-R immediately at start up until you hear 3 chimes in order to to rest PRAM and NVRAM. That can sometimes reset the video output.

Also, try booting up in Safe mode (immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key). Safe mode forces a directory check of the startup volume and loads only required extensions. It would be interesting to see if the problem still occurs in safe mode.

BTW, in Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility can you check the SMART status of your hard drive?

One last thing. Do you have DiskWarrior to Tech Tools Pro? Running either of these programmes can sometimes pick up problems (and repair them)?

Back