Really want to run these graphic programs/applications- Help Please

Glendalough

Registered
Perhaps someone with a bit of time to spare could point me in the right direction, and not over a cliff.......(seem to be going that way)........

Have been hoping to try and run some of these Unix graphics programs out there........See the thing as perhaps 3 basic solutions, please correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am!

1. Can try and run these applications direct from the terminal on my OSX (Can't be done, Maybe? -Can?) But would this involve so many command lines that a Novice would find it impracticable, or have to undertake detaching things from the root or whatever, and dangerously setting OSX adrift, risk really messing up....

2. Attempting to run Linux, start it up on a partitioned drive......Is this a Big Deal? Is it possible to just take an empty portion of the drive and partition it or does one have to reinstall OSX in some fashion........(I suppose you can see this guy really doesn't know +all)

3. Go the Emulator way......Would this Fink program do it? Are there others out there better or more simple? What is this MkLinux...If the program is anything like the dancing penguin on the home page, it's got to be good (http://www.mklinux.org). Or am I totally lost and Fink and MkLinux aren't really emulators at all?

The idea is I just really want to run these graphic programs/applications and compare them to the OSX ones I'm using every day. Think it important to be aware of all the graphic stuff out there............As for everything else want to stay with Mac OSX as it works.........as long as I can get the images, animations out of the Unix environment and back into OSX in some form.

Have read interesting account of running Linux on the powerbook here, but think it more of an Adventure one can be happy to have come out of alive, -screen not dimming or going to sleep, system maybe not really under control, could damage. Think -in the past- may have burnt out the logic board (twice) on Wall Street laptop by excessive and long 3D renderings.....

And last Question. Is any of this going to work in a practical way (on a Macintosh, person with limited intelligence, etc.) Have read here also about having to click twice to get tools to work, programs crashing in mid air for no real reason........

I would be much obliged if anyone has any expert advice aside from giving up.

What graphics programs are you intending to run? Fink isn't an emulator. It is basically a program that manages the installation of various Unix open sourced applications by automatically downloading the source code, dependencies, and compiling and installing them.

I'm guessing you are trying to run Gimp? If yes, Fink has it. If it is a proprietary application, I think you may be in trouble. Most proprietary Linux applications are released for x86. Macs run Power PC and hence these proprietary binaries are not compatible.

In addition, in order to run any *NiX (graphical) apps you have to have Apple's X11 implementation running. If memory serves, I had to download that separately and it was an easy install.

I'd look around for Apple equivalent software packages, tho', if I were you. Apple does a nice job of insulating you from the Unix within if you're not ready for it or simply don't want to deal with it, but you have to stick to native OSX/OS9 apps to gain that benefit.

Thank you both very much for you replies.

The programs I was hoping to run are listed on the Fink "Archive Section Graphics" pages, under " Packages" (http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/section.php/graphics).

I have nothing in particular in mind but thought many looked worth investigating. Yes, Gimp. There's an Mpeg1 encoder. Something called kpovmodeler (KDE - 3D modeler and compose), and many of the vector programs (packages) look interesting. I thought none of these were proprietary but maybe am completely wrong about this..........if so that is the end of this scheme.......

At the moment I am working in Lightwave 3D, Adobe and Macromedia stuff. I realize these are very user friendly and some, After Effects and Lightwave anyway, developed to a high standard.

Recently bought Adobe Acrobat (in order to be able to embed fonts) and find the documentation revolting. Templates and instant solutions ad nauseam......really think it sad such a great thing (Adobe) can fall so low...

Maya is just too expensive at 5000 and don't know if this even includes a proper renderer......

So this is where these Unix type programs come in, more with an eye to the future. ....Learn a bit about the Unix world but not to be plunged in the deep end. So the idea, probably a bit naive, would be to start investigating these graphics.....to be well prepared for the soon coming Cookie Cutter days of Adobe and others, consumer software or something........not trying to start a revolution....just want to be prepared......Any Help Please and Thanks Again for answers.

OH Dear, I'm being detected..........a Minnesota Man am fada (long time) in Wicklow.......born on 13th nov also.....

Anyway, to get on with my silly problem, I've decided to go the Fink way but am unsure weather to put this X11 or Fink on first..........

Anyway, as I seem to be on my own, have decided to install X11 before Fink........Have been told by the Apple Help in Panther that X11 will be on disc 2......which it is not,.... but rather it is on disc 3.....so 2 means 3......is this the first Unix Lesson?

If you're doing non-commercial rendering check out the free version of maya on their website.

chornbe, thanks for the quote, it seems to have helped,

So far everything has gone smoothly with the X11, Fink and the Fink Commander, just a bit worried about some nasty moment of truth when I try to download these packages.........

ziess, about the Maya, think I remember vaguely hearing about this, just wondering if anyone has tried it...........With Lightwave on the "learning edition" you get this sort of checkerboard "watermark" (a split second after it finishes rendering) which really makes any work unpresentable, perhaps one could take a quick screenshot just before/at the end.....

Also, you can't save your files, so don't think this is a very nice learning experience, (what's the point -going nowhere), could quickly degenerate into an angry hacking experience, this, perhaps, followed by a going to jail experience.......

Glendalough,

I'm pretty new to OSx myself - got my first *new* apple back in February. I'm a Windows and Linux user and my first addition to my new Apple was to install Fink and X11 flying blind. Since then I've done all sorts of things. The good news is, whatever you break, is only a reload away from getting abck to normal.

Go ahead and experiment. You can't break the machine just toying with software.

Thanks again for the encouragement, Chornbe.....

Got busy and had to get real for awhile today, just waiting for the evening telephone lines to cool down out here, then will attempt some downloading and see what happens with this X11 + Fink.....

Very, very, interesting..........ah........Dah.......some of these programs don't seem to have interfaces -this is true?.......... Just use these commands?(looking at Potrace a program for converting bitmaps to vectors)........suppose the idea is you do bit of research into each package.........

The first rule of thumb is that the unix world is completely unfriendly to new users. It's not an intentional slap in the nuts, just the nature of things. If you're not comfortable working at the command line without a GUI safety net, it's easy to get discouraged and look for simpler options. Hang in there. Spend the time learning. Get as many books on Linux/Unix/OSx from O'Reilly and don't be afraid to jump and experiment. Like I said... it's just a reload.

Thanks Again,
just one last hint, I do believe everything is installed/ loaded in the right place-X11, Fink, and Fink Com.,and hve got a few Gimp packages which have interfaces but just want to know:
WHAT COMMAND TO TYPE IN WHICH TERMINAL WINDOW (TERMINAL, XTERM???) TO BRING UP THE GIMP THING IN THE X11 Window with an interface...........
not well expressed ......If could just see this X11 window running an interface think it would be very inspiring nad rewarding

Depends on where gimp was installed. If it was done with fink, then from an Xterm window, you'd do something like "/sw/bin/gimp &"

Wade

wadesworld said:
Depends on where gimp was installed. If it was done with fink, then from an Xterm window, you'd do something like "/sw/bin/gimp &"

Wade

Check you $PATH variable. I think that /sw/bin might be in your path already. If not you can add it so that you only need to type gimp.

Glendalough said:
Something called kpovmodeler (KDE - 3D modeler and compose)

I'm curious if you get kpovmodeler to work on Mac easily.

I installed POV-Ray on my Mac but apparently the command-line doesn't work in the Mac version.

In GNU/Linux I can write a pov file and then use the command

povray filename.pov -geometry 9000x6000

to create the image. On the Mac version it has an interface that you're supposed to work with. Supposedly it is possible to build the UNIX version of POV-Ray on the Mac, but you need to compile it manually.

Actually this is something about the Mac that disappoints me. I had hoped that the Mac could have more UNIX like than it is. I frequently find myself trying to hunt for what I'm supposed to click on rather than just type the commands that work in UNIX. OSX still beats the pants off of XP, but it certainly could benefit by becoming more NeXTStep like.

Back