Really weird problem with USB VGA monitor.

XenNightz

Registered
I bought a mini displayport to VGA adapter for my MacBook Pro to hook up my Samsun SyncMaster LD220 -- a VGA and USB monitor.

Just hooking the monitor up with the Mini DP to VGA doesn't work, doesn't detect. Hooking up USB from laptop to monitor doesn't work either. But connecting both the USB to USB and Mini DP to VGA works. What the hell could be causing this?

The MBP came installed with Lion.

From what I can find, the default connection for video is USB on your LD220.
And, your MacBook Pro doesn't provide video through the USB bus. That would take some drivers, but I can't find any info if they exist for OS X.

Is there a setting in the display configuration menus to turn the USB display link OFF?
That might get the VGA to work, without needing the USB connection, too.

When I turn on the monitor it shows a box that flashes the words "USB" then "Analog" a few times in rotation then goes black. I can't change any settings on the monitor or get to any menu.

Thanks a ton for responding btw. I've been posting so many messages for the past few weeks on so many forums and no one is replying to them.

I don't get why I have to plug both of them in for it to work but just the VGA alone won't. VGA worked fine on old Powerbook.

Does the setup guide (the manual) tell you that both need to be connected?
One of the USB ports appears to be an input, and the other two are outputs (well, typical USB ports for devices. Those won't function unless its connected to a USB bus (via the USB input) -
The test reports that I see for your display seem to always ask why there is a VGA port, when the display is designed for use with a USB port.
Are you saying that there are no configuration menus, entered by pressing a menu button on the display itself?
Is there no other information in the setup guide that came with your display (or did you buy it used, with nothing else in the box?)
For example, it appears to come with only a USB cable, but not a VGA cable. Is that correct?

Are you saying that you used this same display on an older PowerBook?

Does the setup guide (the manual) tell you that both need to be connected?
One of the USB ports appears to be an input, and the other two are outputs (well, typical USB ports for devices. Those won't function unless its connected to a USB bus (via the USB input) -
The test reports that I see for your display seem to always ask why there is a VGA port, when the display is designed for use with a USB port.
Are you saying that there are no configuration menus, entered by pressing a menu button on the display itself?
Is there no other information in the setup guide that came with your display (or did you buy it used, with nothing else in the box?)
For example, it appears to come with only a USB cable, but not a VGA cable. Is that correct?

Are you saying that you used this same display on an older PowerBook?

Thanks a ton for the help! But it turns out that it was just the Mini DP to VGA adapter. Bought an official Apple one and all works now.

But since I have you here do you think you can help me on another issue I'm having involving a white MacBook not booting? It's the OS that's not loading properly so it's software more so than hardware.

Sure, I have also been following that other thread.
Here's what you need to do to reinstall OS X on your MacBook:
Connect your two Macs with a Firewire cable.
Boot your new MacBook Pro to Target disk mode.
insert your installer DVD in the new MacBook Pro.
Option-boot to the boot-picker screen on your _older_ Macbook, and you should be able to choose the installer DVD, and then boot to that installer, which should then allow you to reinstall OS X on your MacBook, and get you booting again on that one....

Sure, I have also been following that other thread.
Here's what you need to do to reinstall OS X on your MacBook:
Connect your two Macs with a Firewire cable.
Boot your new MacBook Pro to Target disk mode.
insert your installer DVD in the new MacBook Pro.
Option-boot to the boot-picker screen on your _older_ Macbook, and you should be able to choose the installer DVD, and then boot to that installer, which should then allow you to reinstall OS X on your MacBook, and get you booting again on that one....

Sweet. Except I don't have an installer DVD... How can I go about making one?

If your older MacBook is a Core2Duo - you can install Lion, using your newer MacBook.
Connect the two MacBooks with a Firewire cable. Boot the older to target disk mode.
Boot your newer MacBook to the Lion Recovery partition, and run the installer, choosing the older MacBook for the OS X install destination.
This is also assuming that the old MacBook has 1GB or more RAM installed.

If your older MacBook is a CoreDuo (the oldest MacBooks from 2006), then you can't go to Lion, and you'll need a Snow Leopard installer DVD, which you'll have to install through the newer MacBook, again with the older running in target disk mode.
You can still purchase 10.6 from the Apple online store.

Back