Reboot Easter Egg

Djk515

Registered
If you have a partitioned hard drive that's split between 0S 9 and OS X, you can reboot into X without opening the Startup Disk Control Panel in OS 9. Just hold down the "X" key while rebooting. I'm not sure if this works on startup though, I haven't tried it yet.

not really an easter egg... more like an "undocumented feature!" :cool:

rock on, i like it... so what does pressing "9" do? i'd try, but i don't reboot (much :eek: )

you can also hold down the option key and you will get a screen that will show all bootable devices, ie. OS X partition OS 9 partition and CD rom(if a bootable CD is in the drive)

Hmmm.... I think this might only work on newer machines -- I'm sitting in front of my G4/400 PCI machine that I got back in September of 1999, and none of those things work. Option doesn't do anything for me, with or without a bootable CD in the drive. Holding X down doesn't boot into OS X for me, either -- the computer boots into the selected "Startup Disk" every time.

I heard somewhere that these options were only introduced in later machines, like the AGP G4s and the Gigabit G4s. Does anyone have a B/W G3 or a PCI G4 that CAN do these tricks?

...also, I'm using a MacAlly keyboard -- think this has something to do with it?

I think they were implemented in the new firmware upgrades. I'm not sure if the G4 PCI had a firmware upgrade lately or not.

Holding down the option key does not work on my old G4/400. I thought the problem was the small keyboard... so I bought the pro keyboard... I was a little angry when it did not work :)

Yah, it only works on newer machines, or machines with firmware version 4.1.7 or later or something, I think ;)

It does defineately NOT work with my iMac rev. D :p

I have the newest hardware out there, a PowerBook G4 667 and a Power Mac G4 867 and holding the 9 or X key doesn't work on both of my machines.

Holding the option key does bring up the screen with 2 buttons and a hard drive icon, one button doesn't do anything and I'm sure this is suppose to be the button to switch from the OS X hard drive icon to the OS 9 hard drive icon, but it does nothing! The other button restarts my Mac. This is the behavior on both of my machines.

So what gives???

Originally posted by pwharff
I have the newest hardware out there, a PowerBook G4 667 and a Power Mac G4 867 and holding the 9 or X key doesn't work on both of my machines.

Holding the option key does bring up the screen with 2 buttons and a hard drive icon, one button doesn't do anything and I'm sure this is suppose to be the button to switch from the OS X hard drive icon to the OS 9 hard drive icon, but it does nothing! The other button restarts my Mac. This is the behavior on both of my machines.

So what gives???

Do you have the latest Fimware? :rolleyes: ;)
http://www.apple.com/support

Originally posted by pwharff

So what gives???

Option only works if you have 2 partions or 2 HD's i don't now about the X key never tried it.

Very inconsistent.

Worked on:
G4/466 (Digital Audio)
TiBook/500

Doesn't work on:
G4/733 Quicksilver
TiBook/550
Cube/450
iMac/450 DV+ (Summer 2000)

These are the only machines I have around to test on. All have "new world ROM" (can use the option key on startup).
Dunno

lata

Back