rebuilding the desktop and fonts

MLE

Upstate, New York
I was told that I should "rebuild my desktop". What exaclty is it, and how?

And how do I change the universal font on my computer?

rebuilding the Desktop file is purely an OS 9, or Classic function. It will allow correct viewing of file icons, and can re-establish file-application links. Not needed with OS X, at least for the same reasons. But you can do a desktop rebuild for Classic from the Classic pref pane

What's going on? Why would you get that instruction for rebuilding the desktop?

You can change the system font with various utilities, TinkerTool is one that comes to mind.
You mentioned rebuilding the desktop, if the system font is for use with OS 9, then the Appearance control panel will do what you want in OS 9, or Classic.

Ahhh, okay, I got ya. Thank you for letting me know. That helps a lot. I didn't get TOLD to rebuild, but someone in my computer lab was talking and I overheard "you should rebuild your desktop". So, I was just wondering.

Thanks for the TinkerTool. Works great, thanks. I have one other question. How can I change my folder icons on my desktop?

select the folder, hit apple+i that should bring up the information. Then copy (apple+c) an image such as from here:

http://www.xicons.com/

then select the folder icon at the top left hand side and paste the image (apple+p)

Actually 'Paste' is Apple-V
To complete the process:
Click on the Icon you want to use, Then Get Info (Apple-I), then click on the icon image in the get info box, then Apple-C.
Now Get Info for the icon you want to replace, Select the icon image in get info, and Apple-V
The Icon does not always change immediately, you may need to logout, then log in, Some folders have icons that do not change readily, such as the standard folders in your Home Folder (Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, (etc), Any folder that YOU have added should always accept a different icon.... Good Luck!

Yes, Cmd-P is (unless the software developers were high on cocaine when they made the program) print.

You may have noticed that Tinkertool doesn't change all instances of Lucida Grande (the default system font), like in menus. I don't know any easy way to do this, but you can probably hack a low-level system file somewhere to do it.

Heh, I know the feeling.

On the Palm OS, Command-P is Paste, since there's no "print" function.

Back