[REC:] Bluetooth PC card for PB 15" Ti

cockneygeezer

Registered
Dear All,

I am planning to buy a Sony Ericsson T610 mobile phone soon, which has Bluetooth capabilities. Unfortunately, my PowerBook G4 15" Ti does not have built-in bluetooth, so I will need a PC card.

Could people please post recommendations on which card to get? I know that you can get USB adapters, but I don't want one of these, I would prefer a card.

Also, it will be a great help if the card can also work with Apple's new Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard.

Make and model of PC cards will be helpful.

Thanks for reading.

cockneygeezer said:
Dear All,

Could people please post recommendations on which card to get? I know that you can get USB adapters, but I don't want one of these, I would prefer a card.

Make and model of PC cards will be helpful.

Thanks for reading.

A quick Google for 'Bluetooth PC Cards' brings up THIS LIST with 37 items. I haven't actually heard of anyone using a BT PC card with a Mac, but someone may have real experience to share. Don't dismiss the USB adapters so easily, the performance from those should be much the same. Also, that's the technology that Apple is suggesting for Bluetooth, if you don't have built-in.

Why don't you agree to an usb-bt? If you are concerned about the smooth look of your tibook, there are some really small adaptors too. I suppose you want the lid that covers all plugs to be closed, right? I think the pcmcia card will cost a lot more. Is it worth?
And since you want to pick a t610... I have the same here and using msi usb-bt adaptor. Works just fine. BUT:
the t610 drains A LOT of battery during bt... If you have a permanent session, it won't last more than few hours. Just for you to keep it in mind. Hope my post was helpful

Zammy-Sam said:
Why don't you agree to an usb-bt? If you are concerned about the smooth look of your tibook, there are some really small adaptors too. I suppose you want the lid that covers all plugs to be closed, right? I think the pcmcia card will cost a lot more. Is it worth?
And since you want to pick a t610... I have the same here and using msi usb-bt adaptor. Works just fine. BUT:
the t610 drains A LOT of battery during bt... If you have a permanent session, it won't last more than few hours. Just for you to keep it in mind. Hope my post was helpful

Yes, you are right there Zammy. The reason that I don't want a USB adaptor is that it will be sticking out the back and I would like the lid closed, especially when I am on the move. I suspect that the adaptor could be easilyknocked out and I feel that a PC Card will fell more secure in the laptop. Also, I can leave the card in the machine when I pack the thing away.

I am still looking, but I have found quite a few BT PC cards, but know of them say that they are Mac compatible.

Anyone else?

PS: Cost is not a factor as work will be paying...

Lots of stuff you can buy is not explicitly stated as being Mac-compatible, like hard drives, monitors, etc. All you need is the proper drivers, unless a card specifically says that it will not work with a Mac (which I doubt any do).

Well, that's almost completely true: video cards won't state that they're NOT Mac compatible, they just won't list Mac compatibility on their compatibility information -- and most PC video card won't work, even with the proper drivers. But that's a special case, since video cards, in addition to having to have the correct drivers also have to have the correct ROM (a Macintosh-specific ROM) on the chips on the card itself.

But I do have to agree with you that a lot of other kinds of cards, like ethernet PCI cards, PCMCIA cards and expansion cards (like USB, firewire) will surprisingly work in a Mac.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com is a GREAT place to turn to if you're thinking of purchasing a generic card that you'd like to hear some reader reviews on. They have compatibility information on just about any card sold.

Back