Recommendation request -- teaching Mac OS X to a senior citizen

djbeta

Registered
I have a bit of a challenge on my hands.
We went out and bought my parents a Mac.
They're up there in the years (upper 70s, early 80s),
and this is their first computer.

While they *are* doing pretty well with it,
I didn't anticipate how many aspects of using
a computer would make absolutely no sense to them.

Can anyone recommend a good book or web site that might help a senior citizen to learn Mac OS X (or learn more about platform-independent internet browsing).

A lot of the beginner books I've come across have seemed a bit too advanced and involved for a senior that has never touched such a device before.

In my experience with seniors, I found the most useful thing was to show them how to enlarge the text and use the Help menus in each application, like in Safari for browsing. Less distracting than going back and forth between a book and the computer, and also reassuring for them to know what a wealth of information is right there in the OS.

Just my three cents.

Hope your folks enjoy their Mac! :)

The best way is to have them look into joining a local MUG. I know that most MUGs have a lot of seasoned citizens. A MUG will get them out with people near their ages and they will find most other members are at the MUG to learn the Mac, the same as them.

I volunteer at an assited living place specifically to help those in your parents' age group to use a computer (in this case, sadly, they are Windoze machines). I found over the years that their interests were not what I'd thought. The bigest problem is physical limitations. Hard for them to manipulate a mouse, they're always inadvertently pushing the right button. I solved this by having them use the Apple (one button) mouse. Eyesight can also restrict them so the suggestion to increase type size is excellent. I found they were most interested in emailing their children and grandchildren and hearing back. Also keeping up (via pictures) with their growth. Some explore the internet for specific things (like Old Brooklyn) and some buy presents for the kids.
Bottom line... if they're happy with what they're doing don't feel you have to push them to explore the all the ramifications of computing. Be happy they're happy.

I have some experience with this, First of all I found that getting them to think about, what is it they wish to do. Emails seem to be a highlight, downloading a digital camera and sending but mostly receiving emails. Using a writing program to prepare emails. Skype computer to computer calls delights them. Once you have established what they will immediately use a computer for, remove all other icons from the dashboard. Write down step by step instructions, How to connect to internet. show them and show them again. Attach and or download photos from Emails, show and show again. They are from a generation who tried to work out logic of why stuff worked, with computers most of us have to accept that It just works. If there are too many icons, it will be confusing, if they never wish to make a movie, why have the icon, Too many icons will convince them they will never learn to operate the computer. One Older man I was teaching received a message (Microsoft) on his PC That he had committed a illegal act. He was scared the Police were coming. As they become comfortable with the operations they may wish to do more but to start make it as simple as possible. Computers for older people can open up a whole new world for them, Remember they first flew in prop aircraft, watched the first man on the moon, experienced World Wars, Depressions, they know more that we know. Unless they have a avid interest, they may not need to know about RAM, ROM, H.D. Cache, Cookies or Virus. When they show a interest tell them and show them
Ian

Most of the tutorial are provided online and they can easily learn with them. but they are always accepting the old techniques of using computer system and are comfortable with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back