recover playlists

You could have tried an immediate Command-Z (Undo) command, which works wonders in the Finder, but if you've done anything at all since then, it's too late.

You simply take the backup you let run automatically every night or at least every week and recover the playlist. ;)

Hehe... I was going to say something to that tune as well, Fryke, but, well, somewhere along the line we must accept that people just don't keep backups, as silly as not keeping one is.

It's the law that you have to wear a seatbelt while in a vehicle in the US, but many people don't -- even though it can save your ass, much like a good backup can.

Wherever you put them when you backed up -- it depends on what you did to backup those playlists. Did you use Apple's Backup software, or some 3rd party software like Retrospect? Or, did you manually back them up by coping the playlists to somewhere else?

Long story short, if you haven't made a backup, then there's no backup to recover them from. OS X doesn't back up automatically.

i back up my music folder

since i cant use usb 2.0 on my 80g external hd I cant be buggered to back up my damned user folder every night.

so...

what do you mean by back up a playlist? I meant, where would it stay, how do i back up a playlist? just in the itunes .plist files? or the actual songs all in one folder?

If you grabbed the entire Music folder out of your home directory, and you keep your music there as well or have iTunes manage your library for you, then the playlists should be in Users > (YOU) > Music > iTunes. There should be two files: "iTunes 4 Music Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml".

Those files should contain your playlists. If you backed them up, good. If not, then you'll end up having to recreate your playlists.

No home user should backup EVERY night, but it pays to keep a good backup around. You don't need to back up your entire user folder -- just the important stuff. A weekly schedule would be prudent, and an external hard drive is not the only way to go. CD-Rs are a good backup medium.

thanks for the clarification on where or what to back up. I actually was asking where the files are that I need to back up AND I think you answered that! THANKS!! :p

Back