Recovering Files

Count_Rugen

Registered
I have accidently deleted a folder that I desperately need. Is there any way to recover files that have been deleted once they have been emptied from the trash in Panther? Is there any programs that can help me?

Step one: Shut down and don't do anything else so that you minimize the chances of you overwriting the data. When you put file in the trash and empty it, the computer is told that it can write over where the file is - until it does, the data is generally untouched (This is not the case with Secure Delete, which intentionally overwrites the data to destroy it).

Step two: Get something like Norton Utilities or other software that contains a data recovery program, and (this is important) BOOT OFF THE CD IT SHOULD COME ON, and run the recovery program. Ideally you'll want to recover the lost data to another hard drive or volume, but if that's not an option you may have to recover your lost data to the same drive you are recovering from, which increases the possibility that you may write recovered data over the top of other data you are still in the process of recovering.

I would do the following
0) Check if the data is still in your Trash !!!! If it is, take it out of the Trash and you are done.
Otherwise:
1) Do not shut down (the system is writing data when you shut down
2) Open safari and reduce cache size to its minimum
3) Searcha data rescue software (but not Norton !)
4) Good luck !

Let's clear up the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Distrust) Surrounding The Norton Utilities suite of tools.

The only tool in the Norton suite which caused problems in the past is Norton Disc Doctor, as the early version for OSX were poorly written, and the version for OS9 was also not suited for use on an OSX type system. While Disc Doctor is better now, I would still recommend an alternative if you are repairing your disc (Discwarrior etc).

The REST of the tools in the Suite have had very few issues, and NONE to my knowledge with Norton Unerase/Undelete (I forget what it is called in the later version) which is what you would be using to recover your files. Neither is there any issue with Norton Speeddisc, should you be defragmenting your hard drive (to the best on my knowledge, it is the only consumer Mac app that truly defragments data for Mac OSX (unlike some other which only defragment the directory structure). And for those who suggest that fragmentation isn't an issue on Macs - they obviously don't deal with thousands of reasonably sized file on a regular basis, in an environment such as a art studio, video editing facility etc.

Let's clear up some FUD about defragmenting, while we're at it:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43680&highlight=defragment

And Norton Utilities is not the only suite of Norton tools to cause headaches under OS X. Norton AntiVirus' auto-protect mechanism has been the root cause of many kernel panics under OS X.

I'm speaking from personal experience, as I used all Norton tools under OS 7/8/9 and thought they were great. My experience under OS X was not NEARLY as problematic as others', but it was enough to make me ditch them in favor of no virus protection and no disk repair utility at all. On top of that, Symantec's saying that they will be discontinuing Norton Utilities/SystemWorks for Macintosh is just more evidence that they are once-useful tools that were hastily and crappily ported to OS X and never quite worked right under the new system.

So, I would say that, Count_Rugen, you should not be attempting to defragment an OS X drive, and you should not put any faith into Symantec's OS X tools (I still believe they have the highest quality tools for OS 9, though). I would highly recommend bobw's suggestion of Data Rescue.

What about Onyx? What does it do when its optimizing the system? I've found the documentation on this program to be very sparse.

TechTool Pro 4 has a file recovery function similar in function to Norton Disk Doctor. If the file has not been overwritten and If you have time and patience you may be able to recover the file. It would have been a lot easier had you been running TechTool's "protection" feature before the deletion. That is not a failure of TTP's file recovery utility, it is just a fact of life given the way such tools operate.

This is shutting the barn door after the horse gets out, but if you are prone to deleting files too soon, you might take a look at Data Recycler that caches deleted files until you use up a chosen amount of your disk space with the cache and after that, the oldest files are removed from the cache first. If you have a lot of available disk space it might be worthwhile.

Back