Recovering Old Email (Mac mail / AOL)

lerookie97

Registered
Hi there,

I just recently started using Mac mail (I have a OSX 10.4.5 laptop) and noticed that my INBOX messages started disappearing and I haven't been able to find them anywhere (they are not in the trash). I have three AOL accounts being imported into my Mac mail. I really want to know if there's any way to recover those old messages b/c I need them. Do I constantly need to mark them as unread if I want to store them or move them into saved mail?

Is this problem occuring because I'm importing AOL accounts? When using AOL, once you've read a message, if you don't "Keep as New" it goes directly to your "Old Mail" folder then after a day or so it disappears (but it doesn't go to deleted mail or trash). So is that why these messages are disappearing? It was confusing because in Mac mail the messages don't go to any other folder once they're read so I thought they were safe. This is very upsetting an I hope someone can help me recover them and answer some of my questions.

Thank you,
Karla

By default, AOL deletes old messages after some period. Mail synchronizes your Mac with AOL's server, certainly if you delete messages. My suggestion is to check your settings to see how you are handling your messages. Also, check the arrowhead to the left of the AOL icon--the gray globe with the "@" in the center. What is contained within each folder therein?

Thanks MisterMe. The folders you asked about are labled Saved, Sent, Spam, Voicemail but there is nothing for Deleted or Old Mail. Do you think those emails are lost forever? It doesn't make sense because AOL saves "Sent" email for months! What a nightmare! Makes me hate AOL even more!

lerookie97 said:
Thanks MisterMe. The folders you asked about are labled Saved, Sent, Spam, Voicemail but there is nothing for Deleted or Old Mail. Do you think those emails are lost forever? It doesn't make sense because AOL saves "Sent" email for months! What a nightmare! Makes me hate AOL even more!
No need to hate AOL if you understand how it works. Click your AOL account icon. Click the Advanced tab. Under Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:, select All messages and their attachments from the pop-up menu.

MisterMe said:
No need to hate AOL if you understand how it works. Click your AOL account icon. Click the Advanced tab. Under Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:, select All messages and their attachments from the pop-up menu.
Right - that setting does not help with AOL messages. They delete automatically from your Inbox after about 5(?) days, even with that setting.
Create your own mailbox or folder in mail, and drag mail that you wish to save to that folder. It's the only way (that I have discovered) to save your AOL mail.

Back