Redoing

Cree

Registered
Hey I got me a free mac, (yes im a pc lover). Its a performa 630cd. Baby this sucker has power but is there any way you can like reformat it? I got no clue thanks

On the Mac OS installer CD into the CD-ROM drive and reboot. Hold the C key down until you see the happy Mac. At that point, the computer has seen your C key down and will boot from the CD.

Once booted, look in the Utilities folder for the application called Drive Setup. Double click on it. That's the utility that will let you reformat the drive (I recommend HFS+). Once you've done that you can install the system software.

Ok heres the thing I dont have any of that. Is there any way I can get it because I got this for free. Like can I burn it

The Performa 630CD is not a PowerMac, it is an old 68040 processor, which limits a lot of what you can do, for example, no OS X or OS 9, this will runnothing newer than OS 8.1..... Did you get any CDs with this Mac? If not, you're limited even more. Will the system boot? Why do you want to format it?

wow a Performa, haven't heard that in a while. Things have really changed. Remember the original G3, in the beige box? I remember the 4 in mini mac, lol, i could never get a app to run on it due to lack of memory. My high school had a old one i would mess with way back in 93 or so. It had Photoshop 2 on it, no layers, mostly line tools and selections to make edits to images. I'm getting old :(

I dont have any discs. Any way to fdisk it or somehow redo it without those discs. Hey Im mac stupid so please help.

*edit*

It will boot, The previous owner has alot of stuff that i dont want and i just want a mac to have around and toy around with to see if i want to buy a good mac.

umm, that Mac won't compare to a more modern, hell, not even a old G3 iMac. You need to get something with more power than that to experience a Mac. thats like a infant mac, we outside playing on are own now.

You can't reformat the boot disk when you're running a system from it if you see what I mean. Also, there's no point you reformatting if you don't have a CD to install a system with! Unless you can get a hold of a system CD (8 is the best you could run as DeltaMac said) then you'd just be as well deleting the stuff you don't want.

And the 630 is very old (about 1994), eqivilent to maybe a 486? This was just before Pentiums/PowerPC arrived. So while os8 is pretty solid, you won't get a very good idea of what Macs are like now.

Hey, the Performa can more now than a 486 could do 5 years ago. Remember, Apple builds their computers to last, not to become obsolete when a new architecture or OS is released.

While it's true you won't get a "true Mac experience" from using a Performa (you can't run the latest games or powerful applications), you can still go online, use a word processor, and other basic stuff like that. Look through what is on the computer and see if there's anything you want to keep. (My dad bought me a used iMac from a friend of his, and I didn't delete anything off it except the old account. I kept all the programs that were on it, including Virtual PC 3.) Reformatting a drive is for extreme measures only, and you shouldn't do it unless there's actually something wrong with your computer. If all you want to do is get rid of old data, all you need to do is drag it to and empty the Trash.

Stick with the system you have, delete whatever you don't need and keep what you like, and come back to us when you run into a problem. We'll be here for you.

Ok since you guys think you know it all (im sry you do). Lets say that it has an error after a while. I dont wnat to play gmaes on it just for my little cousin to play some gay 2d games. Now how would i reformat it

You would use Apple Drive Setup to reformat the drive. My point was that you can't do this while you're running a system on the drive you want to erase. If you want to reformat it you'll need to have another system running on a CD or another HD or whatever and boot up with that one. Its just the same as with Windows - if you just had one HD running a system with no CD backup you probably wouldn't be able to reformat the drive, and even if you could then you'd be left with no OS to install.

It's been a long time since I've used a dos/windows version of fdisk but I didn't think you could delete the current active boot partition. That's strange.

Unless you find an OS 8 or below CD you'll be SOL, even if you were able to format the drive.

You'll have the hardware with no OS... just like a PC with only a BIOS, no DOS, no nada. A hunk of metal with some pretty, flickering lights.

If you're wanting to clean the machine out, just stay away from the folder called "system" on the HD. That is the equivalent of the "windows" folder on a PC. Once you get more familiar with the Mac you can then start pearing down anything within there.

Back