reduced photo image quality when emailing, Mac OS Ventura, Macbook Air, 2022

ganzoltd

Registered
When emailing a photograph to anyone from my wife's mac the image quality gets reduced, slightly softer focus. I haven't seen this issue before and she didn't either on her previous Macbook air. Does anyone have any clues? I checked preferences in Mail and System and Photos and can't find anything relevant.

Are these images in the .jpg format or something else?
When you send do you get an option as to what size to send?
Are these images new from a camera or phone or are they saved photos from the previous MacBook? Have you tried opening them to view them before sending them?

The images are .jpeg imported directly from a Fuji X-20 SD card. The size options are there before sending but even when sent actual size the same lack of resolution occurs. I looked at both the original and the received images side by side and there is a slight but definite resolution loss of the emailed .jpeg.

I am not sure what the cause is. It could be that the loss is due to the 'travel' over the internet. Depending on your ISP, connection type (wireless, satellite, ethernet), travel type (optic, cable, wireless, copper). and speed could very well lose a bit of resolution vibrancy and clarity.

Think of it like a bag of breadcrumbs with a very small hole in the bag. As you carry the bag, a tiny amount gets lost when you travel.

I do understand what you are saying BUT it has never happened to me before on this computer, or her computer. And it's happening in several different locations around this city which I'm sure have different ISPs. It is only occurring with her Macbook Air, 2022, OS Ventura. I have done the same test with my older Macbook Air (2020) and there is no resolution loss at all.
I looked at every visible setting for photos, mail and displays and can't find anything that could affect the resolution of the emailed images.

Funny you ask that. I keep trying but when I click on update it asks for my account PW which I use to log in every day, but the update refuses it , shaking and saying it's wrong. I can't figure that one out. Even so, I don't know if her computer is updated past 13.2, probably not, but neither is mine and the jpegs come through fine on mine.

Funny you ask that. I keep trying but when I click on update it asks for my account PW which I use to log in every day, but the update refuses it , shaking and saying it's wrong. I can't figure that one out. Even so, I don't know if her computer is updated past 13.2, probably not, but neither is mine and the jpegs come through fine on mine.
Copied & pasted from a file I keep on hand for just such occasions:

"Boot to your recovery system: Restart, while holding Command + R.
At the menu, run Disk Utility, then Repair Disk.

Boot to the built-in Diagnostics (Restart, holding the D key).
Are any error codes reported?

If you don't see any problems with either test, and no errors are reported, boot back to the Recovery system (again - Restart, holding Command + R)
Choose to reinstall OS X.
That will download the system files, then reinstall in place on your Mac. You won't lose any of YOUR files or apps that you have installed. The OS X reinstall will simply rebuild the system files, and make sure that the system is installed properly."

After this, you will be able to update to OS 13.2.1

I guess that I neglected to state that my older Macbook Air (2020) is an M1 chip, not intel, so the way to enter recovery that you wrote doesn't work on mine. Nor did the Diagnostics method work. I finally restarted by holding the power key down until I go the options gear icon and did an OSX Ventura reinstall. It also did the update to 13.2.1 that I was unable to do before. I don't know if that solves the update issue with my PW for future updates but I'll burn that bridge when I cross it. Thank you for attempts to assist.

Back