Redundant Power for Mini?

magilum

Registered
I'm going to be setting up a dedicated server on a LAN soon. It's only going to be accessed by a handful of computers, all of which will be controlled by the client. Based on cost and complexity of other options, we've decided on a normal Mini, rather than a Mini Server or an Xserve.

The one feature that concerns us, which is included with the Xserve but not on either Mini, is the redundant power supply. We would like to avoid downtime in the event of a power supply failure. Are there any third party options to this?

(A battery backup with a limited run time would not be sufficient.)

Nope, no redundant power supplies available for the mini. A battery backup will be the closest you can get to "failsafe" power, and it's not very failsafe.

While technically feasible (redundant external power supply, that is), it just hasn't been built yet by anyone.

One of the many/few advantages of having a server-grade server machine doing the serving! ;)

Nope, no redundant power supplies available for the mini. A battery backup will be the closest you can get to "failsafe" power, and it's not very failsafe.

While technically feasible (redundant external power supply, that is), it just hasn't been built yet by anyone.

One of the many/few advantages of having a server-grade server machine doing the serving! ;)

Bummer. I mean Xserve does have the redundant power, but it's overkill really, and it'd mean expanding our tech support to another variant.

Server grade machines probably would have been a good idea. But hundreds of machines had already been deployed before I got involved, and it wasn't my call! :D

Back