Reinstall all data gone

bigbadjohn

Registered
I just reinstalled my mac 10.5
I thought I chose to save data, I guess I didn't
all my daugther stuff is gone and she crying her eyes out

anyway to get it back?

Not without spending a bunch of money.

When you delete something from a hard drive, the bits are technically still there -- just the "index" that tells the operating system where to find those bits is gone (kind of like taking the table of contents out of a book, then trying to find a specific chapter when all the chapters are mixed up). If you don't use the computer anymore and lessen the chance of writing over those bits with new bits (which would make the data nearly 100% unrecoverable), then you stand a good chance of recovering the data by sending the drive to a hard drive forensics company, like drivesavers.com... but prepare for sticker shock: data recovery costs anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

The easiest way to get the data back is to simply restore it from the Time Machine backups (or any other backup) that you regularly keep (since Time Machine makes it easy and transparent to back your entire computer up without manual intervention at all).

If you don't have a Time Machine backup, shame on you, and it may be time to sit your daughter down and explain to her that daddy had the opportunity to save the data, but consciously chose against doing so because (insert horsehockey reason here).

;)

Are you sure the data is nowhere on the hard drive? Could it be that you created a new user account, and the data is stored under a different user folder? Which precise option did you select when you "reinstalled my mac 10.5 [sic]?" -- "Archive & Install," "Erase and Install," or "Upgrade Install?"

Seriously, drivesavers.com can (potentially) save your bacon. Just be prepared to empty the bank account doing so.

if you chose "Archive and install" then your old system should still be on the hard drive, in a folder named "previous system" or something like that.
Either of the other two install options leaves little hope for salvaging anything.

If you chose archive and install and did not choose to preserve user and network settings, your data is wrapped up in a disk image in the previous systems folder in the root level of the hard drive. You should be able to mount the disk image and then go to utilities/migration assistant and point to the mounted disk image to restore the data back to its original state.

Back