reinstalliing os 9 classic

liverpool89

Registered
I had a problem with my emac which i solved by completly deleting the hard drive and reinstalling OSX. Classic worked and the ability to boot up in os9 was available before i reinstalled osx but is not available now because none of the classic system files are installed. I thought that os 9 may be on one of the four installation discs i was given with my emac but it is not. The discs included were

Mac osx installation disc 1
Mac osx installation disc 2
Xode tools
Logic Board Update for classic and mac os9 (this does not install os 9)

can you help me please because other people seems to have been able to reinstall through a disc. but i dont seem to have that disc

Classic is indeed included on the disks that shipped with your Mac. It may be an optional installation. However, you are going to have to give specific information about your setup if you expect to receive additional assistance.

what information do you need?
the discs included are osx 10.32 installation discs

im running a
emac 800mhz
512 ddr
osx 10.39

i have classic btw but i dont have the os 9 system folders for it to work. i thought apple included os 9 on their discs because other people seem to be able to install os 9 without any problems

Classic is MacOS 9, but uses the MacOS X Finder for file browsing. When you install Classic, you install a complete superset of MacOS 9 System Folder and Applications (MacOS 9) folder containing the bundled MacOS 9 apps and utilities at the root level of your hard drive.

If you bought your computer when new, it should have included a System Restore CD which is designed to restore the computer to its as new state. The purpose of this disk is to get you back up following a catastrophic hard drive failure. If you use it, you lose all of your files and settings if you don't have a back-up.

It sounds as though you did not buy your computer when new.

I have a 800 MHz G4 with 768 MB RAM. The operating system is 10.3.9.

I recently did a clean install using the orginal installation discs that came with the G4. Afterwards I went to System Preferences and clicked on Classic. The following message came up:

YOU DO NOT HAVE A VERSION OF MAC OS 9 INSTALLED THAT SUPPORTS CLASSIC. INSTALL MAC OS 9.1 OR LATER.

I though that my installation discs came with OS 9.2.2. I have been through the installation process again and found no reference to Classic/MacOS9 at all.

If you wipe your hard drive and reinstall your OS, then Classic must be reinstalled separately. There are three ways to do it. You may install Classic from your System Restore CD, you may install Classic from a standard MacOS 9.1 or 9.2 installation CD if your computer can boot MacOS 9, or you can copy a MacOS 9.1 or 9.2 installation from another computer. MacOS X 10.1, which was bundled with a MacOS 9.2.1 CD, was the last version of OS X that shipped with MacOS 9 in the shrinkwrap box. The Classic System Update control panel will update MacOS 9.2.1 to MacOS 9.2.2.

Back