Reinstalling 9.2.1 on existing 10.3.2

lohphat

Registered
I have been pulling my hair out searcing the web for instructions or a hint on how to do this.

Background:

A friend's Powerbook G4's catalog was corrupted beyond repair; it was running 10.2.x. So I backed up as much as I could and upgraded it to 10.3 via a retail box set. The recovery CDs for the PB were long since lost.

I filled in the cupon to get the 9.2.1 install CD but when I boot with it it says that it cannot install onto the system before I even get to select a drive.

What do I need to do to get a clean OS 9.2.2 install on the box?

Depends on what generation PB that is. I'd go to a Mac reseller and ask if he's got a replacement recovery CD. You don't even need your own copy, you could 'recover' it right on the spot.

Well, if you haven't installed anything else on the computer yet, do a clean install of OS X again and this time customize the installation to include OS 9 drivers (after the license agreement, I believe).

There are other ways to do it, but this is the most painless.

Well, I tried cleaning off a second partition used for testing and the installer still didn't allow me to get far enough to select a partition.

lohphat said:
Well, I tried cleaning off a second partition used for testing and the installer still didn't allow me to get far enough to select a partition.

Did you first use Disk Utility to wipe the partition and install OS9 drivers?

Is the PowerBook even OS 9 bootable? If it's one of the newer models, then you can't boot OS 9 on it. You'll need the Software Restore CDs to install "Classic," but you won't be able to boot into OS 9.

If it's an older PowerBook, then see above explanations... ;)

I'm not looking to boot into 9, just get the Classic config restored.

I installed the OS 9 drivers when I wiped the HD before the 10.3 install.

Ah, I see -- OS 9 drivers aren't required to run classic,only to boot into OS 9 -- but they won't do any harm being there...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151871

In that document, it says that you must use the Software Restore CDs to install Classic again, and that it'll wipe the hard drive and reinstall OS X and Classic together -- although I think you can just copy the Classic folder off of the Restore CDs to the OS X drive to regain Classic ability. You may even be able to tell it to install Classic only, but that still requires that you get your hands on the original Software Restore CDs.

Back