Reinstalling OS, What will I loose?

offtheroad

Registered
I'm runninng the very latest Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on a 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel
I need to reinstall my OS and I need to know if I will loose all my info in the Users folders, like all my Documents, App's support stuff like that?
Thanks

If you simply reinstall OS X, especially 10.6.x - you shouldn't lose anything. OS X simply reinstalls, and keeps your files/apps in place.
If, on the other hand, you need to erase the hard drive first - you will lose everything that you don't have backed up.

Why do you need to reinstall? That's a result that is actually fairly rare when using OS X.

Thank you for the speedy reply. No i don't need to erase anything, just have an app that won't launch (Sound Studio) and a few other wierd problems, Final Cut Express has install problems, and when I quit some of my Adobe app's they show a crash report right after I quit them. I have a friend in town who recommends I reinstall.

I do have a backup HD but I guess the problem I'm having is also backed up on that drive. I'm thinking I'll do a reinstall on that drive and see if the problem goes away.

What version of:
Sound Studio
Which Adobe (CS3, 4, or 5)?
And, of course, which version of Final Cut Express? Only version 4 is compatible with 10.6, AFAIK.

Sound Studio 3.6.1 Crashes about 2 secons after launch
All Adobe CS5 are OK
Final Cut Ex 4.0 it loads but I get a window that says "Briallance Pack LE PACE Anti Piracy" I did a search and can't get rid of it.

The only Brilliance Pack that I can find is the Abbey Road one for ProTools. http://www.abbeyroadplugins.com/product_about_brilliance_pack_41016.aspx
Do you have that, too? If so, maybe the PACE key interferes with Final Cut Express (I don't know that for sure), so try removing that Brilliance Pack LE.
If you don't have that, then you may have a corrupted install of Final Cut Express.

Try your Sound Studio with another user. Create a new user just for this purpose.

Yes I did have those audio files and trashed as many as I could find but when I did a specefic search for Abbey Road RS135 (and that is exactly where FCExp when loading these files gets the pop up PACE msg box.Where else could I look for these. I've been told "Spotlight isn't the best app for searching. Would the PACE be in my Documents some place? I reinstalled a new OS on my BackUp external HD and it didn't help.

Sorry, I don't know where the PACE items might be kept, or even what they might be called. You might try looking in your user Library/Applications Support folder, or in the main Library/Applications Support folder.
Did the Abbey Road plugin come with an uninstaller? Was there other information about the license protection (which is what that PACE is all about)
Try uninstalling ProTools...
Do you have original installers for all this software ?

Back