relatively new ..newbie

squishmusic

Registered
Hello all
I have only posted once before on a mac forum and think it may have been this one.
I got some great help esp from Dr Smoke!
That was relating to using pacifist.

The little problem I have now relates to the 'title bar'
I think thats what its called. Not sure so to make sure we all understand each other its the bar at the top thats tells what program is in current useage/view as well as the time, date, and apple logo in the left corner.

Well, for quite a while now I get the date and time and volume icons being scrambled?
Is there something to correct this.
Its not particularly annoying as if I click them they return to normal -for a while.
I just wondered if perhaps this was a small part of a much bigger problem I should know about.

Im using work computer so dont know much about its installation
Thanx for all the help you may have!!

Mac OSX 10.3.8
400 Mhz PowerPC G3
640 SDRAM

When you say scramble, it is safe to assume you mean the program you are running takes up most of the bar (with is drop down menus), and when you switch back to the finder the icons don't show up completely?

The thing you refer to with the Apple menu, program name, File, Edit, clock, and such is the "Menu Bar."

The "Title Bar" is the bar that is on top of every window that contains the red, yellow, and green buttons.

powermac said:
When you say scramble, it is safe to assume you mean the program you are running takes up most of the bar (with is drop down menus), and when you switch back to the finder the icons don't show up completely?

That is correct, but I can also see the scrambled icons whilst in a program like safari which doesnt have so many drop down menus

As well as being scrambled some icons are duplicated.

Yes I mean the menu bar not the title bars of programs.

adambyte said:
The thing you refer to with the Apple menu, program name, File, Edit, clock, and such is the "Menu Bar."

The "Title Bar" is the bar that is on top of every window that contains the red, yellow, and green buttons.

Thanx for the clarification
I mean then the menu bar is where the probelm lies.

?? any solutions

cheers

Hello
Has anyone any idea to remedy my menu bar problem

The icons on right for date/time-volume-classicOS9-keychain and screen resolution seem to change to the same or different icons or go scrambled

many thanks for tips!

::love::

I am still trying to see by what do mean when you say "scrambled". I am guessing that the Date & Time readout goes all funky and unreadable. On the right seems to mean you are using Classic, is that correct?

If you are using OS X, try clearing your cache. User cache's are located in ~/Library/Caches/ <-- I think I don't have a mac near me right now. Just delete all the files, it is possible that those items are cached and have been corrupted.

note ~ is your home directory.

Satcomer said:
I am still trying to see by what do mean when you say "scrambled". I am guessing that the Date & Time readout goes all funky and unreadable. On the right seems to mean you are using Classic, is that correct?

On the right hand side of the apple menu bar I have opted to have icons displayed for time and date, shortcut to OS9, sound (speaker), screen res and keychain lock. (running in this order right to left)
These often change randomly whilst using my computer so that I may look and see two keylock icons no speaker icon and half the time and date obscured by another screen icon, or all screnn icons or what have you!

I just wondered if these bugs point to my machine going cranky.
This problem was since OSX 10.3.6 and before the OSX 10.3.9 update!!

I last year lost my system pref application (?) and reinstalled it using Pacifist, otherwise I havent done any strange things to the iMac.
I have since then used disk utility to repair permissions after software updates-learnt from this forum!

Hope you understand the probelm now and can help!

Cheers

I am running OSX 10.3.9 on 400Mhz PowerPC G3 iMac 640MB RAM

Could it be 10.3.9? I've heard a lot of comlaints about that. Was this a problem before upgrading to 10.3.9? I don't know just guessing.

garmp said:
Could it be 10.3.9? I've heard a lot of comlaints about that. Was this a problem before upgrading to 10.3.9? I don't know just guessing.

No the problem has been for 6 months or so now!

***new discovery***

Icons jumbled when using safari...
I switched back to finder and the icons corrected themselves!
I then noticed the icons all jumbled again and set to find out at what point they do jumble!!
Result: I had open mail, IE5, Safari and textedit
I switched from IE5 to safari and mail to safari and the icons were jumbled when viewing safari in the menu bar.
By switch, I am selecting the program by clicking the item in the dock.
so waz goin on??

So it just happens when using Safari... Have you installed any plugins/hacks to Safari yourself? Might want to get rid of them.

fryke said:
So it just happens when using Safari... Have you installed any plugins/hacks to Safari yourself? Might want to get rid of them.
Well Ive since discovered it happens in text edit and IE but when I exit this it still remains in other open programs. Only switching to finder resets the scrambled icons to 'normal'

I Havent installed any special plugins/hacks to safari....hey I'm a newbie so wouldnt know how ;)

what will empting the home/Library/Caches/ ...do?
Will I lose all my passwords preferences for all applications??

*update* Im beginning to think it does seem to be safari related!???

so what else then?

As a general fix for most things, go through the following steps:

Repair Disk Permissions (using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder in Applications)
Rename your Safari Preferences file (in ~/Library/Preferences) and open Safari

If neither of those work, please attach a screen grab (use either Grab in the Utilities folder to grab that area as a selection, or Cmd+Shift+4) for us to get a better idea of your problem.

ha!
Thats typical my luck!
I renamed my safari pref file -no luck!
Did the repair permissions - no luck
and of course when I had safari open and the icons scrambled I then hid safari to enable the grab application and the icons reset themselves so I couldnt grab the screenshot of scrambled icons!!!! likewise using cmd_shft_4
bloody 'ell this is not easy :(

But I now discovered the icons 'get' scrambled when I switch from mail to safari or quit mail. I also saw when I open mail the clock/time get shifted along off the end of menu bar, since the mail app has a long menu bar!
Could this be it???

maybe 'powermac' was right what he said about this

whats the fix?

thanks 4 help so far guys

Back