Remember Apple and G5?

plastic

McG4Dual
I am not sure if anyone can remember back in 2001, Apple commented during the period when they were having a G4/450 chip shortage that G5 chips, starting at somewhere in the 2GHz area will ship in 2003? Is this the reason why they are dumping everything by building dualies?

The same prediction I had when they stopped the 667 before the launch of 667 TiBooks.

As the G5 was Apple's statement, I think we have a few more months before we see G5s in the production line. This is so exciting. I am holding back on the Dualies prchase. And since my software (ProTools) does not run on OS X, I will not be spending my cash on the current line.

Just wondering if anyone remember? :D

I thought of the fact that they must be dumping a lot of g4 inventory as well, when they announced the all dual powermacs....

It would definitely make sense on some level that something is coming, especially since so many people are WAITING for something newer and faster in the first place, and its been so, so long.

have you ever really, really wanted to fall in love and noticed that it only happens when you feel content with yourself?

Excellent observation, I was kinda wondering the same thing.

Maybe we'll have a very good new year, who knows!

Maybe that is why A.I.M. has been pretty quiet lately.

And I miss AppleInsider... :cry:

Ha ha ha.... content? Graham Perkins of Apple Asia once noted that I have a more complete inventory of Apple products than their resellers! =)

Not anymore... it is almost making me bankrupt trying to keep up.

Just my instincts that the Dualies are out because they are preparing to launch the G5. Being the lucky dude in Singapore, when Apple's factory pull the black curtains over their production area, it only means one thing... something new is in the pipeline. Considering that most G4 towers are assembled in Singapore. LOL.

I think I have talked too much. Apple will be sending the MIB after me soon...

Another tidbit to add to your theory, elsewhere in this site there is mention of the G4's in the new towers not really taking advantage of the whole DDR thing. Just thought I'd mention it here, as it seemed appropriate.

Yupz, I remember coming across this article somewhere in this forum. There was some benchmarking done and it seems like the DDR speed is not taken advantage of when the new towers should be going at warp speeds.

Hmmm... all I can say is wait and see.

Hello everyone. (Again).

Well, if the news cases are a precursor for the G5s (Power4s whatever they may be), then I would've expected a totally new case. Maybe the next step up are the newer G4 chips instead?

AppleInsider... now there's a blast from the past!!:D

I am expecting a new case too. Remembering AppleInsider, there were talks and pics of totally weird casing for the tower models.

Gee... I really miss them. :D

That was the first rumour site I ever visited, nice design as well (always changed with the case designs, coool!)

What happened, did Apple threaten legal?

By the way, I had a go on the dual 867 machine on Saturday, super smooth! (especially with 10.2 installed... sort of makes me realise that the trolling about speeds by a few unmentionables where just plain b**ching!)

I too am holding out for the next machines. I nearly sold both G4's to buy the dual-867 but refrained.:rolleyes:

Like you, I was so tempted to get the new machines, but restrained. (look at my small Apple warehouse in the studio). And my wife is about to freeze my bank account for getting so many workstations for a three man team. Ha ha ha... it is insane.

Will wait until March next year (or after MacWorld Tokyo) to see what our favourite fruit company can roll out of the production line. I wish I can read the minds of the industrial designers at Infinity Loop right now! It will be so exciting. Realised that there has not been a lot coming out from Ian (VP, Industrial Design) and all news has been surrounding the OS only?

Well, I can bet you my bottom dollar that something is brewing in the Industrial Design dept. They do need to work on the OS, thus it can only mean one thing... NEW MACHINES!

Gee..Fives..Casing.. ha ha ha :D

Dumping inventory? These are mostly new chips in the new towers. How is that dumping inventory?

I hate to burst your bubble, but we're gonna be on these G4s for a while longer. I base that solely on speculation and a complete lack of factual information BTW.

They are building dual proc machines because you need two of them to even stay in the same ballpark as a P4. Sorry guys, it's not an effort to reduce inventory.

Vanguard

How do you know its not an effort to reduce inventory?

The whole idea is that this is just speculation. Nobody predicted the future or anything.

Let me give you an example. Apple has some kind of contract with Motorola. They will purchase X million amount of G4s by certain time, etc etc.

By accelerating that timeline/purchase agreement, Apple can move onto better things if they wanted.

Again, that is just a hypothetical but completely valid theory, one of im sure hundreds that people here have.

It doesnt hurt to speculate.

I didn't mean to come off as if I thought I had all the answers. I clearly don't.

Still, my best guess is that the dual lineup was put in place to keep pace with the faster hardware from the x86 camp.

Vanguard

Look guys, I started this thread because as a Mac user since the early 90s, I have known Mac users to fun loving and I thought a little nonsensical speculative thread will add a little spice to the Forums.

You know, the whole guessing what-is-Apple-up-to-next game. This is why I miss the rumour sites of the old. They carried this spirit. Something that Mac users love to do and this is a typical Mac culture that the poor Windoze users never can experience because they are busy fighting their Blue Screen Of Death. :D

I am sorry if this thread becomes a flaming thread. Whether G5 is around the corner or not, it does not really matter. I mean, it is a fact that the fastest processor on the planet as of this month is a 210Ghz (Two Hundred and Ten) developed by IBM, but are we consumers going to get this on our next Apple line? I don't think so.

But it is fun to see so many people coming in here and start discussing and guessing what is next. And APPLE's statement back during the shortage of G4 chips era was G5 in 2003. So I brought it all back for a fun session of spamming and chatting among the Mac users. Please don't let this turn into something serious. It was never meant to be.

Please guys. Chill. We are Mac users. We don't bite each other because Apple took the bite for us. :)

I think the possibility of the G5 being over the horizion is hurting Apple. I know that I have been waiting over two years for it. I do not want to br on the other side of deep chasm when Apple makes a major switch. I bought the IIcx right before the IIci and the 7300 right before the G3. I know things change almost every 3 to 6 months and you can't wait for ever. I would hate to buy G4 now and have the G5 come out in Janurary. Of course I have been waiting for two years. Threads like this make it more difficult not to wait.

Calliex

Back