remote access anyone?

macmacmac

Registered
I use logmein.com to access my PC. I know I can't acces my mac using this service. HDoes anyone know a free way I can do this? That is access my Mac from a PC?

Many thanks!

VNC will do what you need. You install the VNC server program on your Mac, and the VNC client software on your PC.

If you just need command line access you can install an SSH client on your PC like Putty or Poderosa and SSH into your Mac.

thanks a lot. I have downloaded both those things now. Ive set up a password. Daft question maybe, how do i actually get it to work?? Do i go to a website or something?

Many thanks
George

theres should be a VNC server built in to OSX. Check sharing.

As far as accessing it from teh Intarweb, if you have a publicly addressable IP (not a 10.x.x.x, a 192.168.x.x, or a 172.16-32.x.x) you can just use your VNC client to connect to the address.

However, if you have a linksys or airport, or any other of the plethora of wireless access points/routers, you will need to proxy port 5900 connections to the mac's internal IP address...

I'd also highly and strenuously recommend learning about SSH tunnelling for VNC.

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't VNC only allow a single user at a time? Is it possible to have multiple remote user desktops going at the same time?

well you could get a fancy VNC server that runs multiple instances. Each instance would run on a different port 5901, 5902,

buuuut, I don't think MacOS supports multiple simultaneous users. You might be able to do something if you build out a full X11 install but you won't have access to that which is Mac and its Apps.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately although an excellent tutorial on what to do, its too complicated for me! I'll have to wait till logmein.com or gotomypc.com develope a mac version!? Cheers.

Back