Remote Networking Problem

chicochaz

Registered
I have setup a remote computer in order to do off-site backups. The computer is an AGP G4 (450 mHz version) that has the original boot drive to which I've added a Sonnet ATA133 PCI card with two Western Digital 300 GB drives, each on their own ribbon cable from the card.

My cohort in this endeavor and I spent considerable time getting the connection to work over the respective DSL services at each location. We succeeded, I can log on now with no problem. However, and this is the problem, I can see the boot drive just fine, but I can't see the two WD drives. They show up fine on the local desktop, but not from the other location. I asked him to make alias' of the drives (to see if I could se the alias') but that function is greyed out. Files copy back and forth between the drives just fine. I guess that is an issue for another forum.

So I had him put a folder on each drive and make an alias of each folder, putting them on the desktop and in the documents folder. I see them from my end but only as generic document icons (the remote computer is running OS 10.3.9, I'm on Tiger).

This all seems like some permissions problem, but we're at a loss as to why we can see these drives locally but not remotely. Is this some networking issue, a permissions/ownership issue (drives are all read/write), or something else. I called Sonnet's tech support and the guy there said if you see the drives locally and they work as intended, then the card must not be the problem (didn't think to ask him about the inability to make an alias of the drive).

I imagine there is some simple explanation that we're overlooking, or so I hope! Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks, Charlie

Back