Removing a Partition

Hughvane

Registered
[I've searched the posts back 6 months, but nothing there for my question.]

I very recently bought a G3 iMac 600. The seller did everything right and presented me with a clean install of Panther. However he also partitioned the 40 Gb HD into 20 and 17 respectively, with the OS on the larger partition.

Since purchase, I've reinstalled Panther from my own retail disks, and updated to 10.3.9. All is well EXCEPT the second partition remains, I do not need it, and I will in due course want to use that space for applications, and other files.

How do I remove the second 17 Gb partition without affecting the primary 20 Gb one?
Will I have to re-reinstall the OS after reclaiming the second partition?
[Hopefully not, the update alone was 118 Mb.]

I am told that you can repartition in 10.5 without erasing data . . . which, of course, does not help you.

I believe you can repartition on Disk Utility--but it will erase whatever is on the partition you are getting rid of.

If you have an Ex-HD or something that acts as one, back up the data. You can then try geting rid of the partition. At WORSE, you end up erasing the whole thing and adding everything back on a non-partitioned HD.

IF you have use for Classic or OS 9, you may wish to put that on a separate partition--far smaller than 17 GB of course.

There ARE programs that will remove a partition while copying data so you do not lose the data, but they cost money. One is Volume Works.

--J.D.

Another possibility would be to use a Linux CD. The Ubuntu LiveCD ought to work. However, I'm not sure I've ever used it to dynamically resize HFS+ volumes. I've done it on PCs with NTFS, but I can't remember what I did when I installed it on my Mac.

Whatever you do, you'll really want to back up your data first.

Back