Removing Dashboard?

anerki

Registered
Is there anyway to remove Dashboard entirely? Or at least disable it permanently? Removing it from just the dock is just not satisfying :)

And a bunch of pages further on the search function:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

Open the Terminal application in your Utility folder. Tye the following in;

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

hit return.

That disables it permanently. You'll have to restart the mac to make it take effect, but then you will not have the dashboard at all.

OnyX scares me.

OnyX is not scary, just the person that uses it improperly. :) There's always some risk with any software that can make 'adjustments' to your system. Onyx is no different that way than the several dozen other OS X system maintenance apps/utilities. It's one of the better ones, I think, and remains free!

It was OnyX's maintenace and tweaks that reallly bothered me. The ability to mess with the cron jobs and the daily, weekly maintenance that mac does... Fail to do your system maintenance and your system will not run very good for very long. Why they'd even give an option is beyond me.

It was OnyX's maintenace and tweaks that reallly bothered me. The ability to mess with the cron jobs and the daily, weekly maintenance that mac does... Fail to do your system maintenance and your system will not run very good for very long. Why they'd even give an option is beyond me.

Tiger takes care of the cron jobs even if you don't do it manually, or if the system is off/asleep at the usual scheduled times. Checking your system logs will show that the periodic scripts are run occasionally in the background, even if you choose not to. Is that all?

Actually, Tiger does a thoroughly lousy job of that periodic tasks, unless they've significantly fixed launchd lately. Anacrond does a good job, but they unfortunately tried to replace crond with launchd, including a halfbaked implementation of what anacron does.

The periodic tasks are only picked up if the computer is asleep, not if it's turned off. So if you turn your computer on in the morning and off in the evening every day for a month, the periodic tasks will never run.

The periodic tasks are also only run once per boot, so if your uptime is a month, the "daily", "weekly" and "monthly" jobs will each be run only once.

Back