Removing wireless mouse pairing?

xuratoth

Registered
Hi,

I have an iMac G5 with a wirless k/b and mouse. A while back I gave up on Apple's awful rodent and replaced it with a USB IBM mouse. Much nicer: 3 buttons (including scroll wheel), more accurate, more comfortable.

However, ever since then, whenever I boot up, it takes AGES before the k/b is recognised. I have to keep pressing keys on the keyboard for up to a minute before any asterisks appear in the password field.

I had a look in the Bluetooth section of System Prefs, and I'm guessing that I have to remove the pairing for the kb and mouse? Will that affect the keyboard too? i.e. will I still be able to use it, or is the pairing dependent on a wireless mouse also being present?

Thanks.

It sounds like the computer is trying to pair with the mouse, and since a mouse is not present to pair with, it's stalling until it times out.

I would remove the pairing for both the keyboard and mouse (I don't know whether you'll need a wired keyboard for this procedure or not, though), then re-pair only the keyboard.

Pairing a wireless keyboard is NOT dependent upon the presence of a wireless mouse as well.

Thanks for your help - i'll give that a go. I'll need to borrow a USB keyboard from work first, just in case I'm suddenly unable to type anything!

Thought I'd just report back to let anyone else in the same situation know that I simply deleted the Mouse pairing in the Bluetooth pref panel. THis worked fine, although I did get a few "Lost Connection" messages with my k/b, probably because I had paired the mouse and keyboard with trhe Mac at the same time initially?

This resulted in the Mac refusing to recognise the keyboard at all on startup today, and I had to use my wife's non-password-protected account to create a new pairing on the same keyboard (thankfully no keyboard input is required for this!). The old pairing was removed automatically and the new one works fine.

Hope this is of help to somebody else :)

Back