Rename DOS formatted drive

egilDOTnet

master of disaster
I have a Thumbdrive that I use for moving files between my mac and various windows boxes, but for some reason I am not allowed to rename the disk unless I go to a PC! Why?

Probably because you don't have that privilege. Check the set up in Thumbdrive.

It could also be an administrator privilege. If you log in the Mac as administrator/owner, it should work.

There is no setup - its just appearing on my desk whenever I plug it into my USB port. Drivers are included in OS X. Also, I am able to change the drive Icon, and the settings says that I have read/write privileges to the disc. However, if I try to change the privileges, all I get is an errornumber.

My guess is that this is because MSDOS does not have any type of security in the FS - but then why-o-why dont I have the rights for changing its name when I can alter every other setting for the disc??

I have seen this with various other MSDOS formatted media as well, so I think its a general problem with MSDOS media.

Yes... Unfortunately for me, Apple does not - too bad that they dont allow fixing this without reformatting the whole disc... :(

Actually, I have not enabled file sharing in the first place, so I doubt that turning it off more will help :( Thanks for the tip though...

Back