Rendezvous Printing

Delpezd

Registered
Can anyone help me figure out how to get my Epson Photo 820 to print via Rendezvous with my Airport Extreme Base Station? I have a 12 inch powerbook and an Airport Extreme card and base station. When I go into the print center and add a printer, my Epson 820 is seen under the Rendezvous tab and I can add it. WHen I go to print, the print job starts, but then it says "stopped" in the print center. It works fine when directly connected to the laptop via a USB cable. I can't figure out what to try next. Anyone have any ideas? Any hint is greatly appreciated.

Is this one of the new features of the Airport Extreme Base Station. I print remotely from my laptop all the time, but its hooked up to an imac.

I moved this thread to the Mac Hardware forum so our hardware experts can try to crack your case (not literally :) )

Doug

The Epson 820 isn't a Rendezvous enabled printer.Manufactures have to make printers compatible with Rendezvous.

From Apple's
page on OS X;

Epson
We are thrilled about the opportunity Rendezvous presents, said Dan Crane, vice president of Marketing, Epson America. We're integrating Rendezvous support into future products so customers can simply turn on an Epson printer and it will automatically connect to the network or directly to a Mac.

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. It hit me after I put the message up. I thought the same thing about the printer not being Rendezvous enabled but, according to Apple's website, the Epson 820 is compatable. It's at www.apple.com/airport/printcompatability.html Epson doesn't have anything on its site. Too bad, it would be a great feature to become completely wireless. Thanks for the help.

It's compatible with the Airport Extreme Base Station, but not Rendezvous.

So does that mean I can't print wireless without upgrading to a printer with Rendezvous built-in? The way I have my system set up is the ethernet cable comes from the cable modem to an Asante router and an ethernet cable from the router to the other side of the house to the Airport base station which acts as a bridge, I guess. I do that because my house is concrete and there are several thick walls between the modem and my computer. I get the best signal this way. Basically it comes down to this - the base station recognizes the printer but I can't print to it, right?

You should be able to print wireless to any machine connected through the base station to the 820 if the 820 is plugged into the USB port on the base station. Add it to the Print Center, but not using Rendezvous.

I'm not sure I understand. The printer is connected to the USB on the base station and when I go to the Print Center and click add, the only place the 820 shows up is through Rendezvous. The 820 is already listed because I have had it connected directly to the computer through USB. When I try to print using the 820 already listed it tells me there's a communication error since it's not connected to the laptop. Is it something simple I'm missing?

Did you configure your base station to see the printer from the Airport Admin utility? If so, then you should then see it as an Airport printer. Of course the Airport then allows the printer to be seen through Rendevous, and this is on the supported printer list, so that should mean that it will work! Will the printer print when directly connected to your computer?

speaking of rendezvous, does anyone know how the print center knows which driver to use in rendezvous mode? Eg: Deskjet 5550, connected to AirPort Extreme in USB, shows up in Rendezvous. It also adds and prints fine. Generally you need to select a PPD file, but you can't for that deskjet. Is there some kind of handler I'm missing that somebody knows?

Back