Repairing disk permission on RAID

jeno

Registered
Ok, i am new to Xserver stuff. I am wondering how can i repair disk/files permission on a RAID disk attached to the Xserve. I used Disk Utility comes with the OS, It see the RAID disk but does not allow me to perform repairing.

Thanks.

Repairing permissions is only effective on the boot drive. Repairing permissions on any drive other than the boot drive is pointless.

Are you trying to repair permissions on the boot drive, or some secondary RAID set attached to the computer?

I am trying to repair permission on another RAID drive attached to the server, not the boot drive.

If repairing permission on another drive (non boot drive) is pointless, how do i fix it?

Repairing permissions is only valid on the booting system. Other storage will have other issues, such as ownership. If you are using part of your RAID storage to access active system files, then permissions could be repaired. If not, then you have other issues, and not 'permissions'
So, what problems are you having with the files/folders on your RAID disk?

Thanks DeltaMac for pointing that out.

I was trying to repair files and folders permissions (privilege) on the attached RAID drive. I found that some of the files and folders have different ownership and the read and write privilege are mess up. User are having a lot of problem overwriting and accessing files on the server.

I am having this problem because the RAID drive was transfer from other location and was not setup in my location. The other thing that i am worried about is "Workgroup Manager" on Xserve. I have part of the user having full access and privilege to the server and another half of the user is only having Read access. "Workgroup Manager" does not works as it suppose to be, the full access user even having problem accessing some of the files on the server.

Please help!

Workgroup Manager is the tool you want to use to set the permissions on the data that you are sharing, unless this is Leopard, then you want to use Server Admin. You could also use the command line, but, if you are not too familiar with the use, WGM is the best way to go.

What OS version are you using? Do you have ACLs enabled? You can use the Effective Permissions Inspector to check the permissions your users would have.

What type of directory service are you using?

Michael

Be careful you don't hose your server. I had one take a dump when someone tried to repair permissions on it and defrag it. Ugh. And then we connected a Lacie drive to it that wasn't supported and it crashed 3 TIMES and we had to recover data from it all those times. Man, good times...

In short, don't treat your xserve like your desktop machine. Again, DeltaMac is right on.

You'll also want to install TinkerTool on all networked macs so you can control the permissions each applies to files it places on the server. I can remember we had to set up a sweep script that flipped all permissions to read/write every 5 minutes or so to avoid permissions issues.

Why TinkerTool? The AFP server itself can apply the permission you define per share. TinkerTool is probably just modifying the umask value in the Finder if you are flipping something like the group permissions to R/W. If you are using the AFP server, it can apply those permissions for you, as it is part of the functionality.

Everyone is right on the point of treating a server like a server. That's for sure! :)

Michael

I've try ThinkerTool. It does not work for me unfortunately :(
ThinkerTool crashed Font Reserver Client !!

...why I suggest using the proper server tools to set the permissions on your data and the permissions applied to the data that's placed on your server. :)

Michael

Back