Repeated kernel panics on start up

karavite

Registered
Trying to save/diagnose and old friend - g4 DP 1 GHZ using 10.4. I am getting repeated kernal panics and varieties of the grey screen. The last one is interesting.

ApplePlatformExpert::getGMTTimeOFDay can not provide time of day RTC did not show up
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
disabled
rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: 48F5A9C4-64A5-B1B7-00EDEECC077
another long line of stuff then
Still waiting for root device

Might a dead battery be part of this? I have unplugged every device and a third party USB2 card I have used for over a year. I tried a new keyboard (can't reset pram no matter what I do). The last time it started I switched the startup disk to another internal drive that has my latest CCClone of the drive I normally boot off. I was thinking I could boot off this disk, repair the main drive, but it still won't start.

Any other tips would be appreciated. In the mean time, any good online battery suppliers recommended? Also, how the heck do you open the darn CD on this? I see no place for the old paper clip with door open or closed. Why did they change this? Ugh.

For what it is worth, I got it started from the second drive after about 20 attempts, am repairing the main drive, but I doubt this is the issue. "No Repairs were necessary"
Don't let my clock hypothesis throw any of you. I was just guessing, but it does seem like hardware - right? The machine has a new Apple power supply from about a year ago.

Thanks satcomer, I will give it a shot. Right now I am being extra safe and backing up critical docs and files to a few external FW drives. I have plenty of other backups, but I am somewhat anal in this way and these types of disasters aren't so worrisome thanks to being a little obsessive.

I think a new iMac is in my immediate future (have a Macbook, a PC and other computers), but this thing has been my trusted desktop computer for 8 years. That's enough I think. It may be time to put the old girl down or make it into some kind of server if I can fix it up.

Nope, it simply will not start up in single user mode or verbose mode - get a page full of kernel panic type info every time. I tried each five times. If I try to start as normal, I get a little further - grey screen, apple, spinning... but no start up. If I try to start and reset pram, I get a grey screen, but the pram does not reset - no repeated tone - but then it goes to the grey screen, apple... I just tried starting with nothing and got a very odd loud tone, then crash. Using the option key during start up, I opened the CD, put in my 10.4 boot disk, chose it and after a long time it fails too (grey screen with international "no" sign).

I did run Disk utilities on the main drive the last time it was booted from the backup drive and I got the "No repairs were needed" message. Is it worth trying to get fsck to run? Since I can't start from 3 drives (2 internal and 1 CD) is it safe to assume I have a big hardware failure?

I have all my files backed up in triple, the wife is okay with a new computer, but I'd still like to sort some of this out.

Have you changed the RAM at any time or tried to re-seat it. If not take it out and put it back. If you have an option of putting another piece in do so. Kernal panics are associated with RAM as well as HD's but if you are getting no errors on the HD does not point to that.

Back