Replaceing the Login Screen Under MacOS X (10.2)

Yaaaaaa, (well Im sure you got my e-mail). Hey if I download more I dont have to replace the .nib file right. Ok hold on, I think the login window I downloaded was for X.1, there for you needed to make the .nib file smaller, but lets say I download A login window for X.2. That would mena I would have to put the origanl .nib file back, right?

Originally posted by BIGDOGquake3
Yaaaaaa, (well Im sure you got my e-mail). Hey if I download more I dont have to replace the .nib file right. Ok hold on, I think the login window I downloaded was for X.1, there for you needed to make the .nib file smaller, but lets say I download A login window for X.2. That would mena I would have to put the origanl .nib file back, right?

That last .nib file I sent you should work for any login screen replacement you get. It is actually sized for a 480x360 pixel image, while the one you sent me was only 400x320. So if it is working for that image, it should work for just about any. Of course, if it doesn't for some reason, feel free to let me know :) And yes, if you download more, all you have to do is replace the loginpanel.tiff file, and they should work, assuming they are full-window sized as well. Glad i was able to be of service! :)

Dear All,

I have been for the last 24 hours, trying to replace my exisiting Login Panel screen. I have seen a nice Login Panel off the excellent ResExecellene.com website, the 'widescreen' landscape of Chicago one.

I have download the the file and have made a back-up of the exisiting files and installed the files that are required in the correct place, as stated in previous posts. I have installed the login.nib file that came with the Panel, but when I restart the computer, the Login Panel isn't exactly what I hoped for.

Instead of a nice picture of Chicago, I get a blown up picture, heavy pixilated Aqua Apple logo. What gives?

Any ideas? I am confused? Have I missed something? I have followed the intructions that were given in previous posts, but it doesn't seem to work.

I would be grateful for any feedback.

I have tried to edit the login.nib files, but what application do you need to edit them and is it easy to do? I have no programming experience.

Thanks for your time.

Is the login screen the expected size (aside from having the wrong image)? If so, then the login.nib file is fine, and doesn't need editing. If you wanted to edit it, this would be done using Interface builder, which is installed with the developer tools.

As for the image, where exactly did you put the new image? There are actually two copies of the loginpanel.tiff file, one located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/ (one directory up from where you put the login.nib file) and one in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ (note the SecurityAgent.app rather than SecurityAgentPlugins)It is this second one that needs to be replaced. Replacing the first one produces just such a result as you mentioned. Of course, if you DID replace that second one, and not the first one, then it is just odd, and I am not sure offhand what is going on.

Dear Macavenger,

Thank you, thank you. It work a treat! It seems that I did get confused on the location of the loginpanel.tiff file. It's working perfectly now, to spec.

Could I make a suggestion, as it seems that you are the main person on this, you should write a "How-To" or "FAQ", for the "How-to" section of this website. You deserve full credit.

Thanks again... :)

Back