Replacing a had drive in a server running OS X Server 10.3.9

tomdkat

Registered
I admin a network of Macs that use a 10.3.9 based OS X Server machine as a backup server. There is an iDisk account the server uses for iDisk backups and once a month I run a manual full back to CD. Tonight, the CD backup failed to run since the boot volume was basically full. Upon further inspection, I learned the boot volume is 6GB on a 20GB drive. *Sigh*

So, I'm looking to possibly replace the hard drive. I'm also considering replacing the entire server with more modern hardware but that's another discussion. :)

If I were to replace the 20GB hard drive in the server now with say a 60GB (we're talking PATA/IDE here) what would be the best way of doing it? We're talking about the boot volume now so I would need to move the OS and MBR and everything to the new drive.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Peace...

1. Install the new 60GB drive in the machine alongside the existing drive.

2. Download Carbon Copy Cloner (or SuperDuper!, whichever you prefer -- I like CCC).

3. Use CCC to "clone" the 6GB boot partition to the new drive (or new partition on the new drive).

4. Set the Startup Disk preference pane to boot from the newly installed, newly cloned hard drive.

5. Verify that the server operates normally while booted from the new drive.

6. Remove the old drive (or simply disconnect it) and boot from the new drive again, once again verifying that everything works correctly and that mountpoints and shares and what-not are operating as expected.

If you chose to give the new drive a different name than the old drive, you may want to check shares and mountpoints to verify that they are mounting and sharing correctly from the new drive.

Diablo pretty much hit it on the head, though I'm a fan of the "modern hardware" idea! ;)

One thing I would add. Look into getting two drives that are identical in spec (size, speed). Consider making them into a Mirror RAID (RAID 1) for that server's boot drive and then replacing the OS back on it in the steps mentioned earlier. This way you can "lose" a drive to failure and still be up and running.

Just my $0.02

Michael

One thing I would add. Look into getting two drives that are identical in spec (size, speed). Consider making them into a Mirror RAID (RAID 1) for that server's boot drive and then replacing the OS back on it in the steps mentioned earlier. This way you can "lose" a drive to failure and still be up and running.
Ok, how do I create the Mirror RAID?

Peace...

Install two like drives and use the disk utility application is the easiest way. It's pretty much drag and drop. You'll want to be sure that those two drives are data free. If they're not, there is a way to setup the mirror raid and rebuild in the background on Panther, but it's not for the faint of heart. :)

Michael

3. Use CCC to "clone" the 6GB boot partition to the new drive (or new partition on the new drive).
So, I'm FINALLY getting around to doing this. I've got an 80GB drive installed and partitioned the way I want. I've got CCC downloaded and installed. It gave me the option of creating a disk image on the target drive or just cloning the source drive. I opted to clone and not create the disk image because the description of the disk image creation process stated a disk image would be created that I could resize to twice the size of the original drive and that will be smaller than the partition I manually created.

I'm in the process of cloning now. If you had to guess, do you think my choice not to create a disk image would be ok? I've never done this kind of thing on a Mac before so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible. :)

Thanks! :)

Peace...

If you create a disk image, then all you have is a portable copy of your system drive which has to be restored to a drive in order to be bootable. You can't boot from a disk image.

If you just want to clone the old drive to the new one while retaining the ability to boot OS X, then yes, the clone operation is what you want.

Ok, I've got one more question. What do I do if after selecting the new disk as the startup disk and rebooting, the system won't boot? Do I just disconnect the new drive and boot off the old drive?

Peace...

Did you see the green dot with the words This volume will be bootable
next to it when you set up the cloning session?

You know, I don't remember. I know I checked the "make bootable" check box before I started the cloning process. I don't remember seeing the green dot or not and I didn't specifically look for it. :(

Maybe I should delete the partition and clone it again and pay closer attention this time.

Peace...

I make a full backup to external disk twice a week, and sometimes backups set as bootable
fail to boot when I test them - I just reclone them when that happens.

Mayhem.....

(haha - j/k)

I make a full backup to external disk twice a week, and sometimes backups set as bootable
fail to boot when I test them - I just reclone them when that happens.
When this happens, how do boot your system?

EDIT: Well, I've got GREAT news! It looks like the cloning WORKED! I've got the server booted on the new hard drive right now and all the Macs on the network were able to connect to it just fine. I'll leave the server like this for a week or so and then I'll tackle an upgrade from OS X Server 10.3.9 to 10.4. :)

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Peace...

Last edited:
Back