Reported VPN conflict with Tiger

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
eWeek has an article that Cisco reported a VPN conflict with Tiger. They will not have support ready until mid-May.

It mainly concerns remote-access - I think. It is quoted not to upgrade until the VPN support is in place.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1790386,00.asp?kc=ewnws042805dtx1k0000599

So what does that mean to the consumer? Does this affect wired DSL modems and routers? Does it affect Wireless connections ? Or does this affect specific VPN clients?

It'll really only be a problem for corporate users or people working from home I'd think.

From what I hear Tiger can work with Cisco VPN servers but not group auth so if you're not using that then it still should be possible to connect to a Cisco VPN.

Upon installation of Tiger, my VPN client died. Reinstallation did nothing. Luckily, I don't rely on this, but it is kind of funny. When I attempt to run the VPN it returns an "Error 51: blah, blah, blah." In the documentation, it says that error 51 is only relevant to Microsoft Windows hosts. ::ha::

To me this was a no brainier. If you reply on a Mac (especially if you make money with a Mac) not to be a jumper onto new systems or new software. You should have checked with the CISCO site for Tiger compatibility before installing.

i also need Cisco VPN to login to my school network. however, i got sick of the Cisco client cause it was buggy and unstable. so i started playing with the BUILT-IN VPN client in OSX. now i don't even use cisco anymore. i have a lock-icon on the menu bar that allows me to login to VPN networks as easily as switching airport networks.

just go to Internet Connect in Applications and setup the VPN connections. you'll need to know the server you're connecting to thou. and then the username and password should be easy from that point on. the Server should be easily found in the Cisco client, just look at the info of the connections you wanna make.

Back