Request for iPhoto features?

jove

Hello,
I looked all over Apple's website and could not find a simple feature request page. Is there one?

The two features are
1) Import of PDF. Why isn't this there?
2) An eject button for your camera similar to the iPod eject button in iTunes.

1) Because iPhoto is for digital photos, and as far as I know, no camera uses PDF as an image format. iPhoto isn't a cataloging program (that's what Extensis' Portfolio is for).

2) Your camera isn't removable media; therefore, doesn't need to be "ejected" like a CD does. For those of us that use flash readers instead of hooking up our cameras directly, though, this would be useful.

You can use this page to provide feedback on a variety of Apple products:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

And for #1 you could use Preview to export as jpeg, then import to iPhoto. Not ideal, but the whole point of iPhoto is to get pictures off your camera and easily organize and edit them.

2) When I plug in my Sony CyberShot, a little memory stick icon shows up as a volume on my desktop. Before I unplug my camera, I need to "eject" it; otherwise, my Mac will complain. I agree, this would be a handy feature.

THE MOST NEEDED FEATURE for iPhoto is being able to have folders inside of folders. Meaning I can have a folder on the left bar that says christmas and press a drop down triangle that will let me have more folders under christmas such as the years (02, 03, 04, etc.). They would be known as categories. THIS IS A MUST IF iPHOTO IS UPDATED AT MWSF 2004.

They also need to make it faster, because I have a dual 1.25 g4 with 2 GB of ram and it RUNS SOOO SLOW compared to iTunes or any of the iAPPS. I understand that the program has to load tons of pictures but still, it should be just as fast as if you had a bunch of folders on your computer with pictures in them and viewed them in the finder. I HOPE APPLE DOES THIS!!!

I have no problem with the speed of iPhoto for me on my G4/900Mhz. I have close to 3000 pictures in it. Ofcourse, the first thing to do is enable films rolls (if it isn't already) and then collapse the rolls in "Photo Library" (you can use option-click on the expand/collapse arrow of one roll to expand/collapse all rolls). Second thing to do is turn off shadows and borders. It was a night and day difference for me when I did these things.

Brian

btoneill said:
I have no problem with the speed of iPhoto for me on my G4/900Mhz. I have close to 3000 pictures in it. Ofcourse, the first thing to do is enable films rolls (if it isn't already) and then collapse the rolls in "Photo Library" (you can use option-click on the expand/collapse arrow of one roll to expand/collapse all rolls). Second thing to do is turn off shadows and borders. It was a night and day difference for me when I did these things.

Brian

thanx. I am going to try this. Maybe it will launch faster now..

Well, i did not enable the film rolls and collapse all of them because I still want to be able to see all of my pictures, but I turned of shadows and it made the BIGGEST DIFFERENCE EVER! THANX SOOO MUCH. The program starts 2 times faster and i can scroll through all of my 3,213 pictures as fast as scrolling through a text document. THANX SO MUCH. Apple could still improve the speed though. It definitely isn't as fast as the finder (and it should be, at least close to the speed of it)

I think the size of your pictures makes a big difference to iPhoto's speed too. I recently got a 6 megapixel camera to replace my old 1.3 one. Since sticking a few of these larger images iPhoto has slowed down so much that I've given up using it and am instead trying out some alternatives.

I guess this is more of an annoyance, but if i click the red button the application shouldn't close.
At first glance, this annoyed me too. But who is really in the need of more than one window in iPhoto? ;)

It would be nice to be able to open an album in a new window (like a playlist in iTunes).

btw, to address the original question, all of you should (while you're in iPhoto) go to the iPhoto menu and choose "Provide iPhoto Feedback"... that's where you can tell Apple what's on your mind.

Bit of a coincidence, I only just sent a similar comment to Apple with the "Provide iPhoto Feedback" option yesterday. The option to eject/unmount the camera from within iPhoto was the first thing I mentioned. As well as an auto-import option on connecting the camera (yes, I know this can be done with some AppleScript trickery) and an option to supress the delete warning when using the "Erase camera contents after transfer" option would be good too.

Oh, yeah, and all of us outside the USA and Canada would like to be able to order Kodak prints too.

mfsri said:
Sub-Albums and password protected albums would be nice...
Absolutely. Switching between albums has also got to be made faster.

I've got 11,446 pictures, on a DP 2.0 G5, 3.5Gig memory. It's slow as a dog for many things - like opening an album containing 1207 photos. Curiously, I've got another album with 5400 photos that's a lot quicker to get into. They're from my old Nikon 990 (3MP), and the JPG files are 300k rather than 2Meg or so that the 10D files are. I'd think it'd be all about the thumbnails though, not the photo sizes. Hmm.

Turning off the drop-shadows (thank you!) does seem to help significantly, but not enough that I'm happy yet. Trying to get into film-roll view on the Photo Library has had that little ball spinning for 5 minutes now. Hmm.

I'd settle for Apple fulfilling their promises to European customers. We cannot order Digital prints or albums like in the US, don't have localized sherlock content and don't have access to ITMS (Sorry for the rant!)

From a new user, the ability to create a thumbnail jpg (catalogue) of the pics in iPhoto would be nice...
I like the auto-import / eject ideas too.

I agree SPEED is a major issue. On of the suggestions I have is that you could collapse bigger portions of your library at once e.g. all foto's from one year / month / event rather than only as film rolls.

fever said:
From a new user, the ability to create a thumbnail jpg (catalogue) of the pics in iPhoto would be nice...
I like the auto-import / eject ideas too.

Isn't this what iPhoto already does? There are JPG thumbnail images inside the photos folder... that's what iPhoto uses to display your catalog. When you export a web page, it makes thumbnails as well.

Back