REQUIRED To update to version 10.3.9?

iKwak

Registered
Hello, the os version is 10.3.8 on the iBook and I am hesitant to install 10.3.9.

My question is, if I do not install 10.3.9, is there a high possibility that the ibook will be hacked into in the future? It is a personal notebook and nothing really important anyways.

Better question would be, anyone out there still using version 10.3.8 or the previous version?

Im still using 10.3.8. Im in no hurry to update. I probably wont update till I get Tiger which wont be for a while.

I've decided not to upgrade to 10.3.9 for now...and though I'm a newbie at using the Mac; if you take the proper precautions (like activating your personal firewall and only activating the necessary services) you ought to be fine with 10.3.8

10.3.9 provides Safari 1.3 which is more than just a security update (although it is that too); it's also much faster. Safari 1.2 was open to the flaw where a cunning phisher could buy www.p*letter that looks like an a*ypal.com so you think it's paypal, and then phish for your credit card information.

iKwak said:
Hello, the os version is 10.3.8 on the iBook and I am hesitant to install 10.3.9.

My question is, if I do not install 10.3.9, is there a high possibility that the ibook will be hacked into in the future? It is a personal notebook and nothing really important anyways.

Better question would be, anyone out there still using version 10.3.8 or the previous version?

The chance of any Mac with OS X to be hacked is really really small. It's a Unix system.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 10.3.8, so you can keep running it. Many users here have decided not to upgrade to 10.3.9 because of some problems it has cause on some computers. Others aren't bothering as they're just going to install 10.4 (Tiger) when it comes out in the next few days.

Bottom line is no, you will not have any problems with people hacking your computer. Mac OS X is an extremely secure operating system, whether you are running 10.3.1 or 10.3.9 you're still extremely safe.

Back